JK steering issues

traviswalker007

Hey Guys,
Im new to this forum so forgive me if I sound a little green. I have been battling a steering issue on my jeep for a few months and keep dumping money into issues that dont solve the problem. Every time i hit a man hole cover, or a bump in the road the steering wheel will shake, not death wobble shake but shake up and down for a few seconds i think if i was to hit a few rail road crossings at once it would prolly be uncontrollable. I have checked all tie rod ends and nothing is loose, i even replaced the outer drag link end with a factory replacement and still have same issues. I did upgrade to the new Rubicon factory steering dampener but that seemed to work for a few months but it is back to driving like crap. I have checked everything under the front and it is all tight, even the ball joints look good. I have a 4dr Sahara with a 3.5 terra flex lift on 35in nittos and just hit 64k miles. Not sure what else to do??

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Based on what you've said, it sounds like you're on the edge of having death wobble and that your steering stablizer might be keeping it at bay. I would double check your track bar bolts to make sure they are tightened to 125 ft. lbs. of torque and check your ball joints as both will cause what you're feeling if they are loose or worn out.

WJCO

Meme King
Did your lift include a drag link flip? As suggested above, check the track bar ends. If they do not have play, a drag link flip really helps with that lift height.

jeeeep

Hooked
ditto on all the above

I can tell you from experience a 3.5" lift on 35's will give you bump steer if you do not have a drag link flip kit.

An adjustable track bar is not the answer though many shops will try to convince you it'll do the job, it won't and it's not needed. For the price of an adjustable track bar, you're better off investing in a flip kit.

if you're on a multi-bump surface like a wash board road or going over multiple RR crossings it feels like it's on the edge of death wobble.

Once I installed the drag link flip kit with the stock track bar on a raised track bar bracket, the difference was night/day.

no more bump steer and can maintain a decent speed over rough roads. Also, the big bonus in Texas when it rains - no more being shoved into the other lane because of bump steer when hitting a water puddle

TF lifts also tend to be taller than their stated lift - more reason to have the proper steering geometry provided by a drag link flip kit.

traviswalker007

Thanks

Im going to invest in a flip kit with stock track bar as you guys suggested. I just jacked up front end and re checked the ball joints, i noticed very very little play, based on jeep specs they seem to be in spec at this point. I checked the tires as well and tried to pull them in and out to see if maybe a wheel bearing was bad and no luck, its solid under there. I will order the flip kit, as well as another stabilizer shock and see if that will be any better im just at my limits trying to figure this dam thing out. It drove fine for 3 years then these past few month it just started getting sloppy.

Jackal01

My first thought was if a drag link flip was installed. You say "very, very little" play. Keep in mind tolerance is minuscule. My oem ball joints went bad last year. The amount they moved was difficult to see much less able to measure. How many miles on the ball joints; I assume oem? The point is it doesn't make much for them to be bad.

traviswalker007

Eureka!

So after jacking this back up and looking at some more threads I noticed the front track bar bushing and bolt on drivers side would move around when i turned the wheel. I was told this was an issue with the stock bolts being to small. So I ordered and adjustable track bar, with the upgraded M14 bolt kit as well as a new terra flex front steering stabilizer. I will throw this on and see if The issue is solved.....

traviswalker007

My first thought was if a drag link flip was installed. You say "very, very little" play. Keep in mind tolerance is minuscule. My oem ball joints went bad last year. The amount they moved was difficult to see much less able to measure. How many miles on the ball joints; I assume oem? The point is it doesn't make much for them to be bad.

I have 61k miles on jeep and stock ball joints. Lift was put on at about 9k miles, I do not do much off roading and has not ever seen any rock crawling.

WJCO

Meme King
So after jacking this back up and looking at some more threads I noticed the front track bar bushing and bolt on drivers side would move around when i turned the wheel. I was told this was an issue with the stock bolts being to small. So I ordered and adjustable track bar, with the upgraded M14 bolt kit as well as a new terra flex front steering stabilizer. I will throw this on and see if The issue is solved.....

Glad you found the issue, but who told you the stock bolts were too small? Never heard of such a thing. And what is an 'upgraded M14 bolt kit?' Do make sure when you remove the OEM bolts, carefully inspect the bracket holes to make sure that they are not elongated, this will also cause the track bar end to move.

Looks like you've already spent the money, but did you try torquing the bolt first?

TonyViv

I had the same problem a while back, thought I checked everything proper. Did the drag link flip removed the SS and went to full on death wobble.... still thought everything was good, checked and rechecked... After getting some professional help turned out it was the ball joints.. All wobble gone and with the flip and track bar bracket no bump steer either

Tony

wutwasithnkn

I had the same thing with a 2012 JKU Rubicon that I bought this summer used. It had a 2”Mopar lift and was running 35’s. Pretty sure it had never left the highway but had 70k miles on it. I discovered the wobble after about 2 weeks of driving and it definitely got to full on death wobble over train tracks or similar bumps. I didn’t spend a lot of time pulling everything apart because I was going to new Rock Krawler 3.5” lift, Yeti Drag link flip, big brakes and some other mods. But bottom line is I couldn’t find any issues at all when checking tires like you mentioned. It was only after I replaced everything and was looking at the track bar bushing that I could see the issue. There was a significant amount of play in the bushing and I have no doubt it was the cause. My guess is if you have some play now...you are seeing the beginning of the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

traviswalker007

I purchased an adjustable trackbar as well as a new terra flex steering dampner and the upgraded m14 bolt kit.

Glad you found the issue, but who told you the stock bolts were too small? Never heard of such a thing. And what is an 'upgraded M14 bolt kit?' Do make sure when you remove the OEM bolts, carefully inspect the bracket holes to make sure that they are not elongated, this will also cause the track bar end to move.

Looks like you've already spent the money, but did you try torquing the bolt first?

traviswalker007

Ya. I was searching forums all day long and it seemed everyone had a different conclusion for death wobble, this forum by far had the most info and instructions on the problem!! but my stuff will be here Friday so im going to throw everything on this weekend and give it a go!!

I had the same thing with a 2012 JKU Rubicon that I bought this summer used. It had a 2”Mopar lift and was running 35’s. Pretty sure it had never left the highway but had 70k miles on it. I discovered the wobble after about 2 weeks of driving and it definitely got to full on death wobble over train tracks or similar bumps. I didn’t spend a lot of time pulling everything apart because I was going to new Rock Krawler 3.5” lift, Yeti Drag link flip, big brakes and some other mods. But bottom line is I couldn’t find any issues at all when checking tires like you mentioned. It was only after I replaced everything and was looking at the track bar bushing that I could see the issue. There was a significant amount of play in the bushing and I have no doubt it was the cause. My guess is if you have some play now...you are seeing the beginning of the issue.

traviswalker007

I got a good deal on an adjustable track bar, so ill trhow that on and see if it helps if not I will install a relocation bracket and see if there is a difference!!

ditto on all the above

I can tell you from experience a 3.5" lift on 35's will give you bump steer if you do not have a drag link flip kit.

An adjustable track bar is not the answer though many shops will try to convince you it'll do the job, it won't and it's not needed. For the price of an adjustable track bar, you're better off investing in a flip kit.

if you're on a multi-bump surface like a wash board road or going over multiple RR crossings it feels like it's on the edge of death wobble.

Once I installed the drag link flip kit with the stock track bar on a raised track bar bracket, the difference was night/day.

no more bump steer and can maintain a decent speed over rough roads. Also, the big bonus in Texas when it rains - no more being shoved into the other lane because of bump steer when hitting a water puddle

TF lifts also tend to be taller than their stated lift - more reason to have the proper steering geometry provided by a drag link flip kit.

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
Hey Guys,
Im new to this forum so forgive me if I sound a little green. I have been battling a steering issue on my jeep for a few months and keep dumping money into issues that dont solve the problem. Every time i hit a man hole cover, or a bump in the road the steering wheel will shake, not death wobble shake but shake up and down for a few seconds i think if i was to hit a few rail road crossings at once it would prolly be uncontrollable. I have checked all tie rod ends and nothing is loose, i even replaced the outer drag link end with a factory replacement and still have same issues. I did upgrade to the new Rubicon factory steering dampener but that seemed to work for a few months but it is back to driving like crap. I have checked everything under the front and it is all tight, even the ball joints look good. I have a 4dr Sahara with a 3.5 terra flex lift on 35in nittos and just hit 64k miles. Not sure what else to do??

At 64K miles your factory balljoints are most likely toast.

Top Bottom