4-lo manual

Clowe

I live in East Tennessee and close to Windrock/Coal Creek. I just upgraded to 35's and still have stock 4.10 gears. Some of the trails are "creek beds" so I take it slow then it smooths out. I don't like shifting back and forth between 2wd - 4hi-4lo, so I tend to keep it in for low for long periods of time and sometimes find myself in fourth gear while in 4lo. Is this okay on my transfer case or should I get use to shifting from 4-lo to 4-hi after I get out of rough spots?

Sent from my VS990 using WAYALIFE mobile app

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
I live in East Tennessee and close to Windrock/Coal Creek. I just upgraded to 35's and still have stock 4.10 gears. Some of the trails are "creek beds" so I take it slow then it smooths out. I don't like shifting back and forth between 2wd - 4hi-4lo, so I tend to keep it in for low for long periods of time and sometimes find myself in fourth gear while in 4lo. Is this okay on my transfer case or should I get use to shifting from 4-lo to 4-hi after I get out of rough spots?

I cruse around in 6th and 4lo pretty often while off road. :dont know:

sent from SPACE!
DZZ Build thread

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
It’s harder on your transfer case and transmission to be in 4H than 4L. They spin at the same speed as if you were in 2wd but now have the additional load of the front axle. Personally I stay in 4L throughout the day. Plus I’ve broken one of the plastic bushings on the transfer case linkage and those can be a pain to replace. [emoji854]

Clowe

Thanks guys I thought the same thing, but heard some winning. I changed the fluid around a thousand miles ago. And yes that pos is tough to get changed out

Great question cause I was wondering the same thing. I was using 4th and 5th between trails in low. Thanks for asking and for the responses.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
Same 4th is pretty common, remember at first I was confused about first and second with 4 low, it was way to much rpm for anything. Shifting from 2wd to anything in 4wd was always a slight challenge too especially if your not wanting to hit those low gears. Not sure about how it would be on ur t case but switching a bunch is rather challenging if u don't have the momentium.

Sent from my SM-G920V using WAYALIFE mobile app

BobNH

My 2008 manual says not to exceed 25 mph in 4lo. I do not know why, nor if it has to do with spinning the 4:1 txfer too fast, but I will go with it. I figure if I need to go faster, I may as well be in 2wd

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Stotch

Caught the Bug
I stay in 4Lo, but I also don't exceed 20-30 mph unless I'm aired back up and on pavement. In which case I'll also be back in 2WD.

Benito

Caught the Bug
Not sure if it’s true but I read somewhere that 4th gear in 4lo gives about the same ratio as 1st gear in 2wd/4hi. when I had a manual I would keep it in 4lo and go between trails/obstacles in 4th/5th/6th, the only time I would change back to 4hi was if I knew the next obstacle was a distance away or if I wanted to go fast. After a few off road trips and shifting between ranges a lot it became a lot easier to go between them.

jesse3638

Hooked
Not sure if it’s true but I read somewhere that 4th gear in 4lo gives about the same ratio as 1st gear in 2wd/4hi. when I had a manual I would keep it in 4lo and go between trails/obstacles in 4th/5th/6th, the only time I would change back to 4hi was if I knew the next obstacle was a distance away or if I wanted to go fast. After a few off road trips and shifting between ranges a lot it became a lot easier to go between them.

^^^This^^^ Although 5th in 4lo feels more like 1st in hi to me. I also start in 6th lo from a stop with no issues. I always remember in low there is more torque going to things so I make sure to be easy and smooth on the accelerator too.

Sent from my 831C using WAYALIFE mobile app

DWiggles

Caught the Bug

^^^This^^^ Although 5th in 4lo feels more like 1st in hi to me. I also start in 6th lo from a stop with no issues. I always remember in low there is more torque going to things so I make sure to be easy and smooth on the accelerator too.

Agreed, somewhere around 5th or 6th seem to be "equivalent" to 1st in 4hi/2wd.

Ive never "reved out" 6th in 4lo, so I'm willing to bet 20-25mph is a logical "speed limit" in 4lo. If you need any more than that, 4hi is really where you should be. :thumb:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Agreed, somewhere around 5th or 6th seem to be "equivalent" to 1st in 4hi/2wd.

Ive never "reved out" 6th in 4lo, so I'm willing to bet 20-25mph is a logical "speed limit" in 4lo. If you need any more than that, 4hi is really where you should be. :thumb:

If I recall correctly, 4LO has a max speed of 35 MPH and I've run it at about there quite a bit back when I was still running a 6-speed. When the overall trail is technical enough to keep you in 4LO but has sections that smooth out, it can be a pain to keep shifting in and out. :crazyeyes:

Sahara_Maverick

I don't remember ever using 4-Hi with mine. Always 4-Lo but in the trails I usually go our speed seldom goes over 15mph.
Have seen many Jeeps stalled because the hot temp light because they were in 4-Hi. Once shifting to 4-Lo everything was fine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using WAYALIFE mobile app

jesse3638

Hooked
If I recall correctly, 4LO has a max speed of 35 MPH and I've run it at about there quite a bit back when I was still running a 6-speed. When the overall trail is technical enough to keep you in 4LO but has sections that smooth out, it can be a pain to keep shifting in and out. :crazyeyes:
Maybe this is what I was thinking a couple years ago when I mentioned the max recommended RPM in 4lo was 3500 RPM. I know I read that or something similar somewhere. Just could never locate it. This year's New Years run had me doing that a few times...haha. 4lo was just too low and hi range was just too hi. Atlas may have solved this..haha

Top Bottom