Leveing Kit & Shocks

nfarrar

I have a 2016 rubicon - suspension is stock. I mangled some some stuff a few weeks ago (passenger-side front shock, passenger-side control arms, bent axle) and have been rebuilding it myself (had a pro straighten and rebuild the axle).

I figured I'd do a couple upgrades at the same time (but trying to keep it inexpensive), so rather than ordering a new lower control arm and a single replacement shock,
I got the following parts (among others):

Shocks just showed up and the kit contains the following parts:

The kit says it's for 0-1.5" lift, but once I got the individual shocks and checked the part #'s they say they are for 0-1.0". Obviously this was bad planning on my part - not sure if they'll fit (or just be less than optimal) but any suggestions what I should do? It appears that the next size up is for 1.5" - 2.5" lift. Should I return the 0-1.0"'s (for the front) and order the 1.5" - 2.5" and keep the 0-1.0" in the rear and run them?

Note: The rest of the suspension is stock rubicon; just longer sway bar endlinks & teraflex spring spacers.

Last edited:

Rancho

Caught the Bug
So on our 2" SPORT system we use a 0-2" shock for the front and a slight longer for the rear.
The reason we limit the front is the 2012+ exhaust/driveshaft clearance.
I think you should be good to go.

:beer:

TomDabb

I used a Rough country budget lift yielding about 2 1/2 inches also levels it. If you think you will be running 33" tires or greater in the next year or so, I recommend doing it now with either a greater Teraflex or RC lift. It's takes time to install - mine was like 6 hours - and you probable don't want to do it twice. WAVE from NJ!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Defcon3JKU

I have a 17 JKU Hardrock and used the Evo leveling kit with stock shocks. The ride is great and will clear 33" tires with no problem. You can trim fenders and run 35" tires.

nfarrar

Did some research on this, but still have a lot of things missing. First, I checked the part #'s on my shocks & coil springs:

• Front Shocks: #05168186AD
  • Front Coil Springs: N/A (No part # tag)
  • Rear Shocks: #0516818?AD
  • Rear Coil Springs: #68004460AA

I don't see these sold new anywhere, and so far I've been unable find the specs on them. It's also very confusing if there is actually a difference between these and the parts used on the JK/JKU (couldn't find part specs on the mopar hardware). Out of everything I've read so far, it appears that:

• the shocks are the same that are used in both the 2D and 4D Rubicon models
  • appears the same coil springs are used in both JK-R & JKU-R (but I'm not sure)
  • different shocks & coil springs are used in the Sport & Sport Unlimited models (vs. the rubicons)
  • when comparing a JKU Sport Shock next to a JKU-R shock, they appear the same length, but the JKU-R is thicker
  • when comparing a JKU Coil Spring to a JKU-R coil spring, they appear the same overall
  • while they appear mostly the same size, what I read indicates that the JKU-R shocks and springs are stiffer and add about 1" height over the sport versions

The reason I was trying to figure all this out, is because:

• i'm keeping my JKU-R coil springs (but adding 2x1" spacers on the front and 1x1" spacers on the back) - which I think means I'll essentially have 3" lift on the front and 2" lift in the rear over a JK/JKU sport
  • I have to replace the front shocks, figured I'd replace them all at the same time with a slight upgrade (The Quadratec Max Duty 8.0 Nitro Shocks)
  • while I don't have the cash to do a lift right now, I wanted to level the jeep (I've had it for a year, I'm sick of the rake, I've already got the axle off, and I needed to replace an upper control arm anyway - which is included in the teraflex leveling kit).

Now, when those shocks say they are rated for 1.5-2.5" of lift - are they referring to a JK, JKU, JK-R, or JKU-R? I would think that this matters, since they're all going to have slightly different heights based on the vehicle weight and stiffness of the springs, right?

In my situation, that comes into play because: I've got the JKU-R coil springs which I think add 1" of height (compared to a JK/JKU), plus the teraflex leveling kit (which adds 1" in the rear and 2" in the front). I'm still not sure what the actual answers are here, but I ended up calling quadratec and explained the situation. The person I spoke with believed that given the fact that I have rubicon coil springs in combination with the leveling kit, I should swap them for the 1.5-2.5" shocks. I'm not sure if he really knew (hard to tell without actually getting them on there), but I did go ahead with the swap; just waiting on them now and hoping it's right.

The new parts are:

I read on the Shock lengths database post that the stock rubicon shocks are: 14.75"/22.75"/8.00" - so this appears that they should have a range of motion slightly greater than the stock shocks - hoping that means I'm good to go, but I guess i'll find out.

Last edited:

Rancho

Caught the Bug
The "higher" the last two numbers are of the coil PN the "taller" you get, especially if you are a 2 door.
Stock shocks will fit the stock Rubicon platform. Most companies built for 0" to 1.5" - 2".
You will want a "stock" height since you aren't lifting right now, it seems.
I GUARANTEE (because we do ha!) that our RS9000XL's will ride AMAZING.
http://www.gorancho.com/warranty-guarantee/

And don't forget the rebate. Save some money. You may have bought those already though....

http://www.gorancho.com/promotions/

nfarrar

The "higher" the last two numbers are of the coil PN the "taller" you get, especially if you are a 2 door.
Stock shocks will fit the stock Rubicon platform. Most companies built for 0" to 1.5" - 2".

And don't forget the rebate. Save some money. You may have bought those already though....

I'm not doing a full suspension lift, but I am using the rubicon coil springs in combination with the Teraflex 1.5" Leveling Kit (2" front & 1" rear). I'm *guessing* that is equivalent to ~ 2.5" full suspension lift (that would be aftermarket coil springs & shocks + additional hardware like geometry correction brackets, etc ... i think) over a sport model, but I'm not sure.

Rancho

Caught the Bug
To give you an idea, we would use a stock shock up front to limit the travel of the shock and keep it out of the exhaust.
For the rear we run a longer shock, but we address your brake lines. Make sure you address your brake lines with an inexpensive brake line relocate bracket. If Teraflex didn't offer it with this kit, you should be AOK.

I am assuming you are just using a spacer lift?

I'm not doing a full suspension lift, but I am using the rubicon coil springs in combination with the Teraflex 1.5" Leveling Kit (2" front & 1" rear). I'm *guessing* that is equivalent to ~ 2.5" full suspension lift (that would be aftermarket coil springs & shocks + additional hardware like geometry correction brackets, etc ... i think) over a sport model, but I'm not sure.

nfarrar

To give you an idea, we would use a stock shock up front to limit the travel of the shock and keep it out of the exhaust.
For the rear we run a longer shock, but we address your brake lines. Make sure you address your brake lines with an inexpensive brake line relocate bracket. If Teraflex didn't offer it with this kit, you should be AOK.

I am assuming you are just using a spacer lift?

I'm being super cheap; I have to replace the damaged front end, but it's not the right time to do the full suspension lift I want - figured since I've got the axle off I'd at least eliminate the rake for now. The teraflex leveling kit has 2x1" spacers that go above the coil spring in the front and 1x1" coil spacer that goes above the rear coil spring. The kit also replaces the swaybar endlinks with longer versions. I saw several people running this on stock rubicons (with stock shocks, which I have to replace since I damaged mine) so I'm pretty sure it's fine. I did want to replace the rubber brake lines anyway - so I ordered their 26" braided steel cable replacements for the front and their extended brake line brackets.

Last edited:

Rancho

Caught the Bug
Swaybar end links will be fine. On 3" systems that is where they start to show up.
:)

Yes; the teraflex leveling kit has 2x1" spacers that go above the coil spring in the front and 1x1" coil spacer that goes above the rear coil spring. The kit also replaces the swaybar endlinks with longer versions. I saw several people running this on stock rubicons (with stock shocks, which I have to replace since I damaged mine) so I'm pretty sure it's fine. I did want to replace the rubber brake lines anyway - so I ordered their 26" braided steel cable replacements for the front and their extended brake line brackets.

WJCO

Meme King
Did some research on this, but still have a lot of things missing. First, I checked the part #'s on my shocks & coil springs:

• Front Shocks: #05168186AD
  • Front Coil Springs: N/A (No part # tag)
  • Rear Shocks: #0516818?AD
  • Rear Coil Springs: #68004460AA

I don't see these sold new anywhere, and so far I've been unable find the specs on them. It's also very confusing if there is actually a difference between these and the parts used on the JK/JKU (couldn't find part specs on the mopar hardware). Out of everything I've read so far, it appears that:

• the shocks are the same that are used in both the 2D and 4D Rubicon models
  • appears the same coil springs are used in both JK-R & JKU-R (but I'm not sure)
  • different shocks & coil springs are used in the Sport & Sport Unlimited models (vs. the rubicons)
  • when comparing a JKU Sport Shock next to a JKU-R shock, they appear the same length, but the JKU-R is thicker
  • when comparing a JKU Coil Spring to a JKU-R coil spring, they appear the same overall
  • while they appear mostly the same size, what I read indicates that the JKU-R shocks and springs are stiffer and add about 1" height over the sport versions

The reason I was trying to figure all this out, is because:

• i'm keeping my JKU-R coil springs (but adding 2x1" spacers on the front and 1x1" spacers on the back) - which I think means I'll essentially have 3" lift on the front and 2" lift in the rear over a JK/JKU sport
  • I have to replace the front shocks, figured I'd replace them all at the same time with a slight upgrade (The Quadratec Max Duty 8.0 Nitro Shocks)
  • while I don't have the cash to do a lift right now, I wanted to level the jeep (I've had it for a year, I'm sick of the rake, I've already got the axle off, and I needed to replace an upper control arm anyway - which is included in the teraflex leveling kit).

Now, when those shocks say they are rated for 1.5-2.5" of lift - are they referring to a JK, JKU, JK-R, or JKU-R? I would think that this matters, since they're all going to have slightly different heights based on the vehicle weight and stiffness of the springs, right?

In my situation, that comes into play because: I've got the JKU-R coil springs which I think add 1" of height (compared to a JK/JKU), plus the teraflex leveling kit (which adds 1" in the rear and 2" in the front). I'm still not sure what the actual answers are here, but I ended up calling quadratec and explained the situation. The person I spoke with believed that given the fact that I have rubicon coil springs in combination with the leveling kit, I should swap them for the 1.5-2.5" shocks. I'm not sure if he really knew (hard to tell without actually getting them on there), but I did go ahead with the swap; just waiting on them now and hoping it's right.

The new parts are:

I read on the Shock lengths database post that the stock rubicon shocks are: 14.75"/22.75"/8.00" - so this appears that they should have a range of motion slightly greater than the stock shocks - hoping that means I'm good to go, but I guess i'll find out.

Pretty sure those shocks are re-branded Skyjacker shocks, but either way, hope it works out for you.

nfarrar

Pretty sure those shocks are re-branded Skyjacker shocks, but either way, hope it works out for you.
Just got them. Came with no installation instructions. Called support, closed. Got someone on live chat, but he was on his way out. He told me very quickly that they are indeed rebranded skyjacker shocks, but wasn't sure which model. I'm assuming they are from the SkyJacker Nitro 8000 series (since Quadratec sells these as both Nitro 8.0 and Nitro 7.0, which corresponds to SkyJackers 7000 & 8000 series) - but none of the lengths line up. Also not finding installation instructions for the SkyJacker Nitro 8000's either. :/

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
Just got them. Came with no installation instructions. Called support, closed. Got someone on live chat, but he was on his way out. He told me very quickly that they are indeed rebranded skyjacker shocks, but wasn't sure which model. I'm assuming they are from the SkyJacker Nitro 8000 series (since Quadratec sells these as both Nitro 8.0 and Nitro 7.0, which corresponds to SkyJackers 7000 & 8000 series) - but none of the lengths line up. Also not finding installation instructions for the SkyJacker Nitro 8000's either. :/

Return the shocks and buy Rancho shocks, while they’re running the Shocktober Rebate deal.

nfarrar

I'm considering returning the leveling kit & rebranded skyjacker shocks and spending a little bit more money ...

The kit I would get instead would be:Teraflex 2.5" Lift Kit w/o Shocks and then adding the rancho RS9500XL's. If I do that, which model is going to be correct, the RS999330?

I'm looking at this kit on Amazon which says it has part #'s RS999329/RS999330 & should fit on a 2.5" lift. It looks like the 29's are 3.0" and the 30's are 2.5" - I'm assuming the 29's (3.0") are for the front and the 30's (2.5") are for the rear. Would that work?

Last edited:

BaddestCross

Ugh. You're not gonna get any love here for TeraFlex. You'll be best served by getting the 2" kit from Rancho with their 9000xl shocks or just get the level kit from EVO and also upgrade the shocks with the Ranchos.

Spending once in a quality kit will save you money in the long run. 👍

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
I'm considering returning the leveling kit & rebranded skyjacker shocks and spending a little bit more money ...

The kit I would get instead would be:Teraflex 2.5" Lift Kit w/o Shocks and then adding the rancho RS9500XL's. If I do that, which model is going to be correct, the RS999330?

I'm looking at this kit on Amazon which says it has part #'s RS999329/RS999330 & should fit on a 2.5" lift. It looks like the 29's are 3.0" and the 30's are 2.5" - I'm assuming the 29's (3.0") are for the front and the 30's (2.5") are for the rear. Would that work?

You’ll get more for your money, here...

https://www.quadratec.com/p/rancho/2-sport-system-rs9000-shocks-07-17-jeep-wrangler-unlimited-jk

Top Bottom