Running hot

wanderer

I noticed that my 08 is running hot. The other day out of the blue the temp went to the red line and the icon lit up when I managed to limp home I added about 3/4 gallon mix of 50% coolant and 50% distilled water and that seemed to bring the temp down. I don't see any evidence that the radiator is leaking though. Power seems as anemic as always. but then again today (3 days later) the temp gauge started to climb while on the freeway out to Alpine from San Diego not a particularly hard climb but it was pretty hot 97 degrees and the hill is long. Last week I had a p0303 code. which is something about he cylinder number 3 misfiring. So the big question for me is what does it all mean ? Are these related items ? is the beginning of the end for this engine? The motor has 165,000 miles on it. The dealer keep saying no that these are not related but since the really good service manager left there (Randy) I don't trust the lady that is now my service manager. Just don't think she knows jeeps that well or will go to bat for me ,the way my old manager would. On one hand I would like anew motor because then I could probably get more money for it whenI sell it and I could sellout with a clear conscious . It has the life time power train warranty. I am nervous to take it too far off the beaten path for fear of being stranded some where out there.
So what do you guys think?

Honor2afault

Caught the Bug
The issues may not be related. With 165000 miles I have to ask, when did you last change your plugs & wires, coil? The overheating could easily be a thermostat issue.

Courtesy is given. Respect is Earned.

TRLJNKY

Is your cooling fan coming on? There are two speeds also. I can see how the two are related but I guess its possible.

Alright Alright Alright

wanderer

fan is on

I think it is I could hear it. I have the oil changed regularly < 5000 miles and had the dealer do the plugs at 130,000 ( to maintain the life time warranty) I had it into he dealer for a an oil use check they said no it isn't using excessive oil tole me I had an oil leak, but there was no oil on the undercarriage or dripping in my driveway and I park in the same spot always. But now I am wondering if when they replaced the radiator they screwed something up? maybe by replacing the missing coolant HOAT with newer coolant OAT since they keep telling me that some parts for my jeep aren't being made any more. WTF!! Really?
So aim totally at a loss. I will probably have my radiator flushed by the dealer and refilled.

TRLJNKY

If its a tstat sticking you should be able check your upper and lower rad hoses to see if they both get hot. Id let it cool and than let it run. While cold only one hose should get hot and once your at operating temp the tstat will open and both hoses should get hot. You can use a temp gun or carefully by hand. Im not convinced thats it though if your able to drive it around for a bit before it gets hot. Unless its only partially opening. Tstats are cheap and easy on the 3.8's also. 170kish might be worth it anyway. Ive. Got a 3.8 with 162k. It runs warmer than I like consistently 220ish on the hwy when its hot outside but its never pegged out and threw a light. Im shocked they say you cant find parts? I havnt had issues with non dealer stores yet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using WAYALIFE mobile app

wanderer

fluid low in 2 days

Coolant is way down none in the overflow tank so there is a leak not sure where as there is no staining on the engine or undercarriage. maybe it is going into he motor? what would happen if say there was head or intake manifold gasket leaking. And I just noticed that my coils springs are really rusted. These are Heavy duty OME springs. WTF I will post a pict in a few.

Slimebones

Coolant is way down none in the overflow tank so there is a leak not sure where as there is no staining on the engine or undercarriage. maybe it is going into he motor? what would happen if say there was head or intake manifold gasket leaking. And I just noticed that my coils springs are really rusted. These are Heavy duty OME springs. WTF I will post a pict in a few.

If you have a gasket leak at head and coolant is getting into combustion chamber, I think it shows up as a whitish type smoke at the exhaust.

wanderer

close but no cigar

Your coolant could be low because it boiled out. Your symptom sounds like a tstat.

In take gasket . covered by the dealer life time warranty. There e are apparently several other oils leaks but no drips on my driveway? The service rep says the timing cover is leaking, intake manifold leaking, and the crank case seal is leaking . Coolant is leaking out the back of the intake gasket and burning up which is why there is no smoke. BIG question is with all these leaks and the p0303 code last week is my engine about to die ? Will the maintenance keep her going for along time. I am planning on selling it to buy a new JL but I don't want to see it if it is on the verge of destruction That would be seriously bad karma, on the other hand I don't want to trade it in because I will get screwed. so what would you do?

WJCO

Meme King
In take gasket . covered by the dealer life time warranty. There e are apparently several other oils leaks but no drips on my driveway? The service rep says the timing cover is leaking, intake manifold leaking, and the crank case seal is leaking . Coolant is leaking out the back of the intake gasket and burning up which is why there is no smoke. BIG question is with all these leaks and the p0303 code last week is my engine about to die ? Will the maintenance keep her going for along time. I am planning on selling it to buy a new JL but I don't want to see it if it is on the verge of destruction That would be seriously bad karma, on the other hand I don't want to trade it in because I will get screwed. so what would you do?

Those things failing at 165k is just normal wear/tear. Being that it is getting up in mileage, selling may not be a bad thing to do, but isn't exactly necessary. Hard to say how much you'd get with higher mileage as well.

Top Bottom