coil spring rusting

wanderer

I was just crawling around looking for a coolant leak and I noticed that my OME heavy duty springs appeared to be very rusted. Way more than I think is normal and it seems to have happened very quickly I was just under there a few months back and they were fine .So is this normal. This is a lift installed by Off road whare house, the springs are about 5 years old. jeep srping.jpg

Strodinator

Caught the Bug
Someone else correct me if I'm wrong but there's a ton of rust on those parts that shouldn't be there. And seeing as how you're a West coast guy like me, that's really odd to me. If I would've guessed I'd say that that's looked like that for years so the fact that's its new is alarming

Sent from my Life One X2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

wanderer

live near the beach 1 mile away

don't drive in the ocean and haven't been in any water crossings for 4 years except the usual rain puddle I keep a pretty good eye only jeep so I was alarmed. no other steel is on the vehicle is acting like this.

rumblebee3

Caught the Bug
Definitely start sanding and painting, if you have the time and can do without the vehicle I would pull them off and start sandblasting them and any other parts that need it as well then a good primer and good paint. It's a lot of work but it'll keep you from replacing Springs and whatever else may be rusting

Sent from my XT1585 using WAYALIFE mobile app

wanderer

why the springs ?

and nothin else. not on the bumper or the suspension components No it is just case I live down here there e is something else going on. I have lived here 40 years and I have Neve had anything react like this. Could it be from leaky coolant?

J

JKDream

Someone else correct me if I'm wrong but there's a ton of rust on those parts that shouldn't be there. And seeing as how you're a West coast guy like me, that's really odd to me. If I would've guessed I'd say that that's looked like that for years so the fact that's its new is alarming

That's pretty normal. Powdercoat doesn't tend to last on springs. Mine look just as bad and it's been half of that time.
Paint doesn't hold up on the front axle very well either since it's typically what takes the road spray from other vehicles.
Other than it looks like shit, it's not going to cause any harm for quite some time.
If it was rusting on the paperthin sheet metal these Jeeps use then I'd be concerned.

Strodinator

Caught the Bug
That's pretty normal. Powdercoat doesn't tend to last on springs. Mine look just as bad and it's been half of that time.
Paint doesn't hold up on the front axle very well either since it's typically what takes the road spray from other vehicles.
Other than it looks like shit, it's not going to cause any harm for quite some time.
If it was rusting on the paperthin sheet metal these Jeeps use then I'd be concerned.
I'll take your word for it. Could just be the picture making it look worse than it is to me

wanderer

it is just weird

I was under there to replace a bushing on the transmission link just like 6 month ago and I took a good look around sure the pain was worn off but the spring weren't fully rusted like that.

toxicwaste29

I have had my coils on my dd in the salt belt since 2013 and they have yet to look even close to that. They are flaking and starting to rust but not nearly that bad. Try getting them acid dipped to kill the rust and then powder coated.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
Salt air does not help. I disagree with power coating statement. I had on my bronco coils. And they lasted and never rusted. If they were coated then it was a shit job then.

Sent from my XT1080 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom