Looking for vehicle recovery help in western Utah

I really hate to use this forum for this purpose, and if it is not welcome please, let me know so I don't repeat the mistake.

Looking for some help with a vehicle recovery. Took the JKU out on the pony express trail heading west from Lehi Utah to Wendover Nv. About 140 mile in I was flagged down by a very old and injured man that had been stuck in some nasty mud about 1/4 mile off the trail. He'd been out there with his buddy for three days and had ran out of water and food. I agreed to take a look to see if I could free him. Long story short, I got him freed up only to get mine stuck trying to get back out. After 12 hours of digging and no support vehicles, I had to button it up for the night and decided to try and flag down a vehicle to call for help, which did arrive in the form of a sherif who was kind enough to give me a ride back to where I had cell service.

I realize this isn't the forum for asking for help, but myself and a couple of other trucks along with some plywood, bricks, sand bags, traction mats shovels and some recovery gear are heading out from Salt Lake City around 11:00 am tomorrow morning. 10/24/17. If any local wayalifers are willing and able, we could use all the help we could get. Again, the jeep is about 140 miles from Lehi and about 90 miles from wendover. Just off of the Pony Express Trail.

Thanks all and again, please let me know if this isn't appropriate and I will make sure to remove it.

Thanks everyone for the help! Super lucky to have good people here willing to lend a hand. I was lucky that we were able to flag down the sherif and that we made it out of there. Learns a lot of very valuable lessons. Things can change in the blink of an eye and without warning. I will post updates and later a full thread on exact details of the event, in hopes of helping other people not find themselves in the same situation.

No good deed goes unpunished I suppose.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Oh man, I have a pretty good idea where you might be. I'm glad to hear you've got so many people coming out to help you :thumb:

BobNH

That sucks, and agreed glad it sounds like you have a bunch helping you get out, but what happened to the guy you got out, as in where was he when you ended up stuck?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Hey all. An update. Got her out and back on the road thanks to some generous and ballsy road crew workers and sheriff deputies that refused to quit.

As for the gentlemen that we initially tried to help they got stuxk again shortly after us and refused the help from the sherif but I am glad to report they are also out and safe. I will make a post with what pics I took of the whole ordeal to share with all of you. Thanks to everyone who replied and offered up their help in whatever way they could. I belong to an awesome group of folks here.

Thanks all. Biggest lesson I took from this was that, while I was prepared with food water and survival gear, being that I had my wife and daughter along with my dogs, I never should have risked going in to pull someone else out. I should have just gone to call in some help for them instead. Going to a while for me to get past that aspect of it. Posting pics soon

IMG_6428.JPG Started the day awesome. Sunny, warm and having a great time.
IMG_6444.jpg Stopped at Simpson springs so the dogs could get some water, and have a look around. No they weren't hooked to the bumper, just long enough to help my daughter get back in the car.
IMG_6453.JPG Man I'd hate to be stuck out there...
IMG_6454.JPG
Shit
IMG_6465.jpg
Had to leave her out here for a couple days while we organized some help.

Thanks to some deputies that had gone back, a county road crew got called in to pull them and us out. Got a call late this morning from the Sherif that my jeep was out and sitting in an area where I could go get it.
IMG_6466.jpg
Back on firm ground.

IMG_6467.JPG
My dad brought me out to pick it up. Had to get a pic of the old station at Simpson springs...

Glad we're out.

Lots to take away from this.

TrailHunter

Hooked
Glad you made it out! And it's always awesome to rack up some Good Karma points helping others... That mud looks pretty Nasty..... Did you air down?

Last edited:
Top Bottom