Gear noise question

Markel1

Just left shop that did my gears, noticed a hum on deceleration. Shot temps on diff covers 89 front, 120 rear after 10 mile drive in city traffic to home. Normal or something that could be a concern?

Thanks in advance for your help and advice.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
Those temps are nothing. But the noise could be from an imperfect mesh on the coast side of the gears. Likely not anything that would be damaging, but possibly something you would want to get the installer to check out.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

zimm

Caught the Bug
They shouldn't make any noise. The gears could be set too tight. Take it back and see if they'll address it.

rumblebee3

Caught the Bug
If you have any questions at all take it back... Especially after spending your hard-earned money you want to make sure that they are set correctly and there's no issues. I have been there and it sucks.

Sent from my XT1585 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Jody Treadway

I'm a gear installer and have been for 21 years.

Noise on decel like you are describing is going to be due to either improper gear mesh (too shallow most likely as too deep would yield high temps), loose pinion preload or worn inner pinion bearing. Regardless, the shop will need to go back into and see what the cause is.
I would request them to show you the gear mesh pattern as that will indicate if the cause is gear or bearing related. If the noise is due to improper initial gear mesh, it will be all but impossible to have it "reset up" and be noise free. Once a gear is initially broken in and the wear pattern established, it's virtually impossible to change it with positive results.

Good luck!

Top Bottom