Flat Tow setup Brake lights Turn Signals?

4wk9carrier

Hello All, I purchased a motor home in July and a Wrangler Rubicon a couple months ago. I can take if to a shop to get setup to flat tow behind the RV but curious if others may have hooked up a wiring harness kit to control brake lights and turn signals on the jeep from the tow connector on the rv? If so was there a particular kit you purchased and how involved was the task?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Kimochou

Roadmaster makes a complete and easy to use kit for this. What tow bar and brake system are you going to use?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kimochou

It's the Roadmaster RM-154 kit. The reason I asked about your brake system and tow bar is there are additional wiring kits you would need.

I use the Roadmaster 9700 brake system and need to connect that as well as a breakaway switch so I end up using a 6 pin connector on the Jeep side instead of the 4 pin that comes with the RM-154. JKs are easily the most common RV towed vehicle so everything you need is very easy to source and the products available are pretty refined. The Blue Ox tow brackets for example have a couple of threaded mounting "rods" for the 6 pin connector housing built in.

As easy as it is to install yourself, I suggest having a shop do it. A good shop will have done it many times, can whip it out fast and it's usually pretty cheap.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

4wk9carrier

Thanks for the info!

It's the Roadmaster RM-154 kit. The reason I asked about your brake system and tow bar is there are additional wiring kits you would need.

I use the Roadmaster 9700 brake system and need to connect that as well as a breakaway switch so I end up using a 6 pin connector on the Jeep side instead of the 4 pin that comes with the RM-154. JKs are easily the most common RV towed vehicle so everything you need is very easy to source and the products available are pretty refined. The Blue Ox tow brackets for example have a couple of threaded mounting "rods" for the 6 pin connector housing built in.

As easy as it is to install yourself, I suggest having a shop do it. A good shop will have done it many times, can whip it out fast and it's usually pretty cheap.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info. I am looking at the Blueox Aventa LX tow bar. Not certain on which braking system yet. I am not doing the base plate and instead opted for the tow loops sold from rubitrux.com I think they were maxximus brand.

Labricon

Caught the Bug
I use the Blue Ox Aventa Tow bar and the Blue Ox base Plate for the AEV bumper and went with the Blue Ox Patriot brake - really easy to use. +2k miles towing so far this year. My brake lights at this point are simple magnetic ones but I am looking at more permanent options

Note: I found the dealer pricing to be obscene and once I had the part numbers ordered on Amazon

Last edited:

toups'wrangler

Hello All, I purchased a motor home in July and a Wrangler Rubicon a couple months ago. I can take if to a shop to get setup to flat tow behind the RV but curious if others may have hooked up a wiring harness kit to control brake lights and turn signals on the jeep from the tow connector on the rv? If so was there a particular kit you purchased and how involved was the task?

Thanks

I also used the Roadmaster 154 kit and it was works great. It'll take longer to run the wires under the Jeep that it will to hook up the actual lights. Magnetic lights are not your easiest fix with a fiberglass roof and plastic bumper.

duktrx

TOW VEHICLE WIRING HARNESS - MOPAR (82211156AB), connects to the factory wiring, if I remember correctly on the passenger side below/behind the glove box, routes to the front bumper, comes with a removable pigtail that goes from the front bumper of the jeep to the 7 pin tow vehicle connector.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom