Possible weld issue

So installed a set of RS9000XLs on my JKU today and the rear were a huge pain. The lower U brackets were squished from the old shocks having small bushings and it took a lot of massaging to get them in. I noticed a couple of possible bad welds and wanted to see what the consensus is. The outer vertical welds on both brackets has the paint there chipping and peeling and the lower weld on one of the rear 9000s looks suspect to me...there’s a gap right where the weld meets the shock body like it wasn’t properly done. Thoughts? IMG_0067.jpg IMG_0068.jpg IMG_0069.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That shock weld looks like poop.

Yeah I think so too. The other rear isn’t much better. The fronts look ok. I emailed Rancho too. Waiting to see. I just don’t want it to break, warranty or not. Not super impressed with the quality out of the box so far.

zimm

Caught the Bug
When I change shocks (I'm on the 3rd set), I use a long pry bar to open up the "ears" in order to put the shock in.

I wouldn't worry about the welds, that looks like cracked paint. I think the torque is 55lbs for the lowers, just set em and see how it goes.

I showed the shock welds to 4 Wheel Parts where I purchased them. They agreed the one should probably be swapped out so the ordered another one.

I like the look of those EVO Rock Stars. Since I got the 3-3.5” shocks, they’ll make a nice addition down the road.

You had four wheel parts order you a factory shock mount? Lol why come here and ask for suggestions and then do whatever you want and go back to a shitty shop?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I probably should have made two threads...one for the shock weld and one for the bracket welds so as to avoid confusion. For the time being the JK is a DD and light wheeler, so I’m gonna keep an eye on the mounts and upgrade as needed. Liking the EVO recommendation. Honestly I was more concerned about the shock weld holding up so I appreciate them swapping it now. I buy parts there, but do my own work for the most part.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I probably should have made two threads...one for the shock weld and one for the bracket welds so as to avoid confusion. For the time being the JK is a DD and light wheeler, so I’m gonna keep an eye on the mounts and upgrade as needed. Liking the EVO recommendation. Honestly I was more concerned about the shock weld holding up so I appreciate them swapping it now. I buy parts there, but do my own work for the most part.

Gotcha. That makes sense. I guess I was confused. Personally I wouldn’t have worried about the shock but you are getting it swapped out so no big deal.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom