Brake pads- put em dry or anti-squeal goop? Grease the springs or leave 'em dry?

zimm

Caught the Bug
Yes I read eddie's write up.

I'm waiting on the Fedex truck to bring my new dynatrac rear pads and everything is cleaned up. For the last 25 years I've been doing brakes, I've always used the orange CRC disk brake quiet goop on the backs of the pads and used silicone brake grease on the pins and anti-rattle clips. The pro-grips come with shims on the back, so I'm thinking about trying these with a dry install. What about the spring clips? Should I grease em or leave them dry as well?

zimm

Caught the Bug
I put the pads in dry and lightly greased the clips. No noise on test drive. :thumb:

jeeeep

Hooked
Yes I read eddie's write up.

I'm waiting on the Fedex truck to bring my new dynatrac rear pads and everything is cleaned up. For the last 25 years I've been doing brakes, I've always used the orange CRC disk brake quiet goop on the backs of the pads and used silicone brake grease on the pins and anti-rattle clips. The pro-grips come with shims on the back, so I'm thinking about trying these with a dry install. What about the spring clips? Should I grease em or leave them dry as well?

do what you've been doing the last 25 yrs.

the shims can get noisy and have a way of fusing and coming apart when installed dry.

ask me how frustrating it is to find a squeal only to get all new pads and realize it was the @%#$% shim ...damn brake noise travels!

WJCO

Meme King
On a floating style caliper, grease the clips, the caliper piston, and the back of the outboard pad. Along with the slide pins.

wjtstudios

Hooked
I’ve found with the Dynatracs, they have to be greased at least a couple times a year. They generate so much brake dust. Throw in some mud and sand and they start driving you mad.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom