Tire Mount for 35”

redbeardedrob

2017 Rubicon here.. about to go up to 35” tires. Do I need aftermarket bumper/support for 35” tires? Or can I get away with it sitting on rear gate without additional support?

Any recommendations on additional support with stock bumper; is that even an option?

Want to go 35” Toyo Open Country M/T with Fuel Beast D564 17x9 wheels with -12mm Offset.

TRLJNKY

Its recommended to get an aftermarket carrier because the weight of the tire can fatigue the gate and cause rattle issues. With that said, my wifes JKU has run metric 35's for years on her stock carrier BUT it never sees trails. Pavement princess. I beat the hell out of mine with 35's so I ran spareless (tied it in the back on trail runs)until I finally got my bumper carrier. There are some good body mount carriers out there that will replace your factory one and let you run your stock bumper with 35's. I know there are some threads on here with recommendations.

aka cavfighter

Basscat

Factory carrier would work depending on how hard you wheel. I’d go with an aftermarket tub mounted replacement. Several good one out there that are easy to install in stock location. Then you’d never have to worry about it until of course you go with bigger tires.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

davidc128

Would definitely go aftermarket... I've got the dv8 bodymount carrier... honestly wish I would have went with the evo tho... I'm having to constantly adjust it so the pins line up correctly but it's way better than listening to that damn gate rattle endlessly!!!!

Saharaunlmtd

Caught the Bug
Just extend the isolators and you should be good.

I added 2 additional isolators. One between the tire and tailgate then one between the tire and bumper. I’ve had a 37 hanging like that for awhile with no issues. IMG_7424.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

redbeardedrob

Found this on ebay

Found this on ebay, fits well with the look of what I want..

Thoughts?

Attachments

• BC926908-136D-41FB-BD18-BAEAC7C2F750.jpg
    BC926908-136D-41FB-BD18-BAEAC7C2F750.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 193

Overland_stormtrooper

Caught the Bug
Been runnin a 35toyomt on a 20 kmc rockstar rim on stock carrier an no issues as yet . Do plan to go with the evo body mount one when i upgrade it .. while i woundnt say i wheel hard as some do i am out weekly doing something when my days off come around..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using WAYALIFE mobile app

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
2017 Rubicon here.. about to go up to 35” tires. Do I need aftermarket bumper/support for 35” tires? Or can I get away with it sitting on rear gate without additional support?

Any recommendations on additional support with stock bumper; is that even an option?

Want to go 35” Toyo Open Country M/T with Fuel Beast D564 17x9 wheels with -12mm Offset.

Use the write up BaddestCross mentioned, and this if you want more support.

https://www.quadratec.com/p/skyjacker/tailgate-saver-spare-tire-support-07-17-jeep-wrangler-jk

IMG_0507.jpg

There are a few threads on here about 35’s on a stock carrier.

redbeardedrob

redbeardedrob

I personally wouldn’t put that pile of Chinese excrement on a 2017 Rubicon.

The quality tends to be pretty hit & miss and I’d have little faith in that hitch weld quality.

Understood. Thanks for the info. I'm going to do the isolator extension recommended and report back when it's complete. Again, thanks for the candid response.

RioGrandeJK

I went with the spare mount from Morryde with the daystar bumpstops. (tire shop over torqued and cracked my OEM mount so they gave me a check for the mount). I already had their hinges and I plan to get the tailgate reinforcement kit. I am running 33s and don't run a rear bumper so this is the best option for me at the moment. The offerings from Rugged Ridge and others seem too clunky and I just don't like the look... this set up looks pretty simple. And its made in USA.

sinawalli

I have 285-75-17 Ridge Grapplers, and my spare tire mounted on the OEM tire carrier with spacer ( yes, I extended the rubber stops so it pushed up against the spare) and it sounded like squirrels fighting back there. That was after about 2 months. I built a temporary jack between my hitch and spare while I decide on a rear bumper/tire carrier.

Breer

Caught the Bug
I am running a 35 on the stock carrier, so far so good. From my reading and understanding it is fine and people have run them for years without problems on JK's.

An upgrade is obviously better but your tailgate won't immediately fall off when you put a 35 on it. Make sure the isolaters are up against the tires as mentioned and run it.

Sent from my Pixel XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

TonyViv

I went with the spare mount from Morryde with the daystar bumpstops. (tire shop over torqued and cracked my OEM mount so they gave me a check for the mount). I already had their hinges and I plan to get the tailgate reinforcement kit. I am running 33s and don't run a rear bumper so this is the best option for me at the moment. The offerings from Rugged Ridge and others seem too clunky and I just don't like the look... this set up looks pretty simple. And its made in USA.

I know its said a 35 is ok but I did it with PVC extended bumps and it still rattled like crazy. I also did the MoRyde hinges made quite a difference. Went to the reinforcement kit and it made all the difference in the world. My stock carrier was fine with the other MoRyde parts. Added the HI lift mount and Im happy with it.
Not super pretty but utilitarian, solid and works well for me.. And the price is reasonable.. I totally dig it too...

Tony

Bill123

You will probably need an after market carrier. Not only will the stock carrier rattle, the extra weight will eventually break the rivets on the tailgate.

Sheaffadelic

Caught the Bug
A 35 is completely fine for a stock carrier with proper tire isolators... I ran a 37 and it never rattled. Just bent the tailgate when i smacked it off a rock once tho :doh:

Top Bottom