How'd I dent my body above rear bumper?

zimm

Caught the Bug
I found this really nice ding in the body and I can't figure out how I got it. The rear bumper took some hard hits out in Moab, but it looks like the frame maybe hit the body? The top of the bumper is bent up too. Maybe the frame rail hit the pinch seam? Can it flex that much? Strange....

View attachment 281693

WJCO

Meme King
I have welded on sliders on my WJ and took a good hit one time and it dented the body right above it just like that (right where one of the slider supports sits). And the sliders are 3/16" steel. My slider doesn't look bent, but I'm thinking it had to have flexed during the hit. I was surprised as well. Maybe there was just enough flex/inertia in the steel to cause it there for you. :idontknow:

Josh27

My rear bumper also took a few good hits before too and it made contact with that area of the body. Didn't quite dent it like you did, but it took some paint off.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
Due to the design of the jk and the body mounts, I think they can allow that much flex to let the body get hit like that. Sure is weird however.

Sullivan

Flexing body mounts along with a bumper that will move if you smack it.
Start with checking that bumper. It probably shifted upwards, then settled back down as you drove

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

JAGS

Hooked
Due to the design of the jk and the body mounts, I think they can allow that much flex to let the body get hit like that. Sure is weird however.

This. I have these similar dents on both sides. You can see where the rear frame rails flexed up and hit the tub. Same as you see on the pinch seam with the EVO sliders. I chock it up to bad spotters. [emoji23][emoji23]

TonyViv

It would be a rougher ride but has anyone tried solid mounts?
Could make body mount sliders more workable too?

Tony

Last edited:
Top Bottom