Tailgate wouldn't open- problem solved

zimm

Caught the Bug
So my tail gate decided to stop working. It took some work, but I figured out how to manually trigger the release from inside the tail gate and removed the latch. The little screw backed out and disconnected the mechanism. Some blue loctite and good as new. Thought I'd throw this out there because an exhaustive web search came up with nothing about this happening to anyone else.

View attachment 281694

zimm

Caught the Bug
that screw falling out caused the tailgate to not work?

Correct. The push button would not do anything. That screw holds the actuating rod/lever to the mechanism that unlatches the tailgate. I was able to get my fingers in there and pull on the disconnected lever to pop the trailgate. That took a couple of attempts with a flashlight, bleeding hand, and lots of patience.

DeJkUnlimited

Caught the Bug
Granite Crystal posted a neat little DIY hack for that where he tied some paracord to the release lever and pulled it through the inner grille. Have to open it from the inside but it makes life easier I’m sure.

zimm

Caught the Bug
That’s a great hack, but if the screw comes out, I don’t think it’ll work.

The BAD Influence

My tailgate won't open. This is the only thread I can find, and the pic attachment won't open.
I can the mechanism from the door knob is attached and working. From the access panel I can see and hear the unit unlock. But pressing the knob, nothing happens.
I don't even know how to get the tailgate open.

My tailgate won't open. This is the only thread I can find, and the pic attachment won't open.
I can the mechanism from the door knob is attached and working. From the access panel I can see and hear the unit unlock. But pressing the knob, nothing happens.
I don't even know how to get the tailgate open.
Get into the backside, feel around and start tugging on shit, you'll eventually find the right part and it'll unlatch.

darrylK

My aunt mentioned the intermittent tailgate issue on her JK. Gonna take a look at it after it returns from wheels and tires installation plus alignment.

Last edited by a moderator:

The BAD Influence

My aunt mentioned the intermittent tailgate issue on her JK. Gonna take a look at it after it returns from wheels and tires installation plus alignment.
I was able to look at a new module. This made it so I could see what wasn't functioning on mine. From there I was able to get a screw driver into the correct position to lift the lever that was broken. Unfortunately, I don't have access to that module, and threw away my old one, without taking any pictures. But, ours was broken, it worked fine, then nothing.

Top Bottom