Any options to increase ground clearance for rear shocks?

The Cock Father

Who designs an off road vehicle with such a design defect??

IMG_0190.JPG

So, what's the fix? Evo's DTD would fix this, I know, but for East Coast stuff, it's not needed. Any other options?

JK_BUB

I run something similar to the Evo Rockstars made by Metalcloak. They work fairly well but are not as well thought out as the Rockstars. I had to make my own control arm mount skids.

Attachments

• F4C5E5B3-715E-4C8E-BD8F-6412FFF865C3.jpg
    F4C5E5B3-715E-4C8E-BD8F-6412FFF865C3.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 216

zimm

Caught the Bug
Is that photo at rest, or is the suspension compressed? Looks like you have less than an inch of up travel before bottoming out those shocks. Also your lower shock bolts are backwards, they should go the other way so a rock doesn't mess up the bolt threads.

Mybadjk

Caught the Bug
Is that photo at rest, or is the suspension compressed? Looks like you have less than an inch of up travel before bottoming out those shocks. Also your lower shock bolts are backwards, they should go the other way so a rock doesn't mess up the bolt threads.

Looking at control arm angle and spring. I think he’s compressed.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

BobNH

This is all very interesting. Would using this relocation allow me to run the same length shocks as stock but with a 2" lift?
My immediate thought is yes, but I wasn't sure what I might be missing, plus not sure what to do at the front, bar pin eliminator bracket maybe? Assuming, of course, there is one to eliminate. There was on my TJ.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
This is all very interesting. Would using this relocation allow me to run the same length shocks as stock but with a 2" lift?
My immediate thought is yes, but I wasn't sure what I might be missing, plus not sure what to do at the front, bar pin eliminator bracket maybe? Assuming, of course, there is one to eliminate. There was on my TJ.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Are you talking he rockstars? You would just need to check your clearances. The rear should be okay and really the front might be too.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

kawimoto

Evo rockstars, or run inverted shocks so you don't damage the body, or both.

View attachment 281972

zimm, what length shocks you running and bump? Also did you use any upper shock mount relocation bracket? I installed my rockstars recently but either need to run shorter shocks, about 1'' more bump, or relocate the upper shock mount to regain the uptravel I lost. just looking for other peoples setups that work well and already have rockstars. thanks in advance!

zimm

Caught the Bug
zimm, what length shocks you running and bump? Also did you use any upper shock mount relocation bracket? I installed my rockstars recently but either need to run shorter shocks, about 1'' more bump, or relocate the upper shock mount to regain the uptravel I lost. just looking for other peoples setups that work well and already have rockstars. thanks in advance!

I'm running stock upper and lower mounts and teraflex rear bump stop blocks (2.75")

King JK shocks (although EVO spec- lengths should be the same)
25001-223A Jeep JK 07 + 3"-5" Lift Adjustable Front Shocks 16.893 27.27
25001-224A Jeep JK 07 + 3"-5" Lift Adjustable Rear Shocks 17.263 28.14

I'd like to run rockstars but think the shocks would bottom before the stops. I'd have to take some more precise measurements or cycle the suspension (which I'm too lazy to do anytime soon).

Skeeterbait

I have the 3" evo enforcer lift with evo specced kings and rockstars.

My front shocks are the King 2.0 for 3-5"lift
My rears are the King 2.0 for 0-2.5" lift.

Ddays

Hooked

Just had Rockstars installed when my LA kit went in and I ran into issues with the shocks right away. My coils were unseating with my Fox shocks (4-6" lift) when opposite corners were at full droop. Plus I lost the 1.5" uptravel caused by shortening the mount lengths. I called ORE and talked to Drew who recommended the Kings for the 3-5" lift. Ran into a small issue with those then because the shock body is way longer than the Foxes. I still only had about 3-4" of uptravel showing on the body. Tried 1" Teraflex spacers but after a week of driving on them they squished out and I ended up back where I was. Since there isn't any way to raise the shock mount higher without cutting the floorpan I went with a set of Currie 4" +1 springs for the rear. These are 1" taller that the standard 4" springs so I won't have the unseating issue. I sit a little higher than I wanted but I gained back the travel I lost now. I called ORE again & talked to Drew about all of this. He says the Rockstars will absolutely work with the 4" Enforcer lift and the EVO spec King shocks. In fact that's what he runs. I was worried about the sag with the enforcer springs so that's why I went with the Currie springs. Honestly, I love these way better than the RK springs I was running and will change out the fronts this winter so they match. Very comfortable ride.

Top Bottom