Engine block heater

Mybadjk

Caught the Bug
Curious if anyone runs one? I have remote start. But curious if anyone up north or in the west uses one. Where I’m at it gets -20 to -30 in the mornings. Seen it’s an option when building a Jk. But can’t find anything online.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

RageKage

I live in Alaska and it gets to be -40 to -50 on average here. I have a block heater plus an engine pan heater, trans pan heater, and battery blanket. This is my third winter up here and haven’t had an issue. I keep the jeep outside all year long also. I would recommend it in conjunction with the other heaters I stated above. The block heater tends to only heat up that certain spot it’s installed at but it does help, where as a pan heater will heat up the oil sitting in the pan and help to thin it back out to its normal viscosity causing less engine wear and tear on start up.

Labricon

Caught the Bug
Beginning about now until middle of March we are below freezing and I have always had block heaters and on some vehicles that had to live outside I have added the battery blanket as well. Makes things easier on the vehicle

zimm

Caught the Bug
I had a diesel jetta that I put an inline heater in the lower radiator hose. It would get the entire cooling system up to 200 degrees when plugged in. I wonder if they make one that would work for a JK?

Mybadjk

Caught the Bug
I live in Alaska and it gets to be -40 to -50 on average here. I have a block heater plus an engine pan heater, trans pan heater, and battery blanket. This is my third winter up here and haven’t had an issue. I keep the jeep outside all year long also. I would recommend it in conjunction with the other heaters I stated above. The block heater tends to only heat up that certain spot it’s installed at but it does help, where as a pan heater will heat up the oil sitting in the pan and help to thin it back out to its normal viscosity causing less engine wear and tear on start up.

Was looking at the oil pan heater pads, but I’m running the evo skids. Idk how they’d work in conjunction. Unless I put the pad between the skid and pan. I just couldn’t find the engine block heater for the jks. I know the other you just remove a freeze plug.

RageKage

Was looking at the oil pan heater pads, but I’m running the evo skids. Idk how they’d work in conjunction. Unless I put the pad between the skid and pan. I just couldn’t find the engine block heater for the jks. I know the other you just remove a freeze plug.

Between the skid would be your best bet to get the full potential out of the pan heater. So the jk’s block heater isn’t exactly like the normal freeze plug heaters. You don’t remove a plug or anything. It’s like a cylinder that bolts into a hole behind the a/c compressor. I’ll see if I can find a pic of one. I had ordered one before I took it to the shop to get the jeep winterized.

Edit: here’s some of what I could find. The pics are from wranglerforum.com so I apologize if it’s not allowed but it will give you the part number and location of where the block heater goes. I ordered mine from Napa and I believe it was from Kat’s heaters.
IMG_7044.jpg IMG_7043.jpg the heater should look something like this IMG_7045.JPG

Last edited:

Mybadjk

Caught the Bug
Between the skid would be your best bet to get the full potential out of the pan heater. So the jk’s block heater isn’t exactly like the normal freeze plug heaters. You don’t remove a plug or anything. It’s like a cylinder that bolts into a hole behind the a/c compressor. I’ll see if I can find a pic of one. I had ordered one before I took it to the shop to get the jeep winterized.

Edit: here’s some of what I could find. The pics are from wranglerforum.com so I apologize if it’s not allowed but it will give you the part number and location of where the block heater goes. I ordered mine from Napa and I believe it was from Kat’s heaters.
View attachment 282319 View attachment 282320 the heater should look something like this View attachment 282322

Thanks man! I’ll look for it online or see how much it is through the dealer.

I had a diesel jetta that I put an inline heater in the lower radiator hose. It would get the entire cooling system up to 200 degrees when plugged in. I wonder if they make one that would work for a JK?

I had the same heater in my jetta....worked great and the heater would blow luke warm air upon start up in Alberta cold weather.........I would think you could plumb this universal circulating heater into a JK???? Must of worked great for you on those cold Florida mornings lol

Block heaters are a standard option right from the factory when shipped to a Canadian dealer. I've used them on all my vehicles, including the 3,8 and 6.6 equipped JK'S. A heavy duty timer is handy, I set it a few hours prior to turn on based on temp.

Works well pre warms things up prior to hitting the go button on the remote start.

Form area this works well, the member that posted up from Alaska is got some extream cold weather....wow, that's an arsenal of heat to keep things warm.

Stay warm....

Sent from my SM-T560NU using WAYALIFE mobile app

RioGrandeJK

I installed one on my rig after my first winter in Colorado. The area I live gets sustained -10 to -20*F for a few weeks. After a bit of research, I decided to get the bock heater from NAPA as it was half the price of the one from Jeep. The install IMHO was a PITA. Very tight working space unless you completely remove the AC compressor. I used a short M5 (i think) allen head bolt and a trimmed down allen key to bolt in the heater in lieu of the bolt that came with the heater. Overall, it works great, I have mine set on a outdoor timer to kick on at 2 or 3 AM and turn off by 7 AM. Occasionally the temp gauge gets wacky and reads way hot but if I shut off the engine and restart it reads normal. Not sure if this is related to the heater or just a quirk of the jeep. I also went exclusively to Royal Purple in the winter, the jeep just seems to start a lot easier with it vs. the Valvoline/NAPA synthetic I run in the summer.

Last edited:
Top Bottom