Street driven

Rocralr

Hi everyone. I just ordered the hydraulic steering kit from PSC. They say it can effect the way the vehicle handles on the street. My JKU is driven not towed. For all of you out there with the PSC kit how does your JK drive on the street. I also tow a trailer at times. Am I going to have a problem or do I just need to be careful. Thanks....:rolleyes2:

fiend

Caught the Bug
Hi everyone. I just ordered the hydraulic steering kit from PSC. They say it can effect the way the vehicle handles on the street. My JKU is driven not towed. For all of you out there with the PSC kit how does your JK drive on the street. I also tow a trailer at times. Am I going to have a problem or do I just need to be careful. Thanks....:rolleyes2:

I have had it in my Jk for a while now. City driving, freeways, trails, etc. I don’t notice anything negative on the streets. Just feels like power steering to me.

jeeeep

Hooked
I drive mine everyday and to all my trip destinations no issues.

what you will notice right away is the steering takes less effort and does steer more quickly than stock but you'll get used to it quickly. Just be aware of the ease in steering at the higher speeds (freeway lane changes) until you get used to it.

What size tires do you have? with 37's the PSC really shows its stuff on the trail and feels close to stock steering.

With 35's I didn't really feel a need for it and the PSC made steering very quick.

J

JKDream

What size ram did you get?
I just put my kit in, it's from a different brand but I didn't notice much difference in street driving.
If I didn't tell you it was there you probably wouldn't know. It does tighten up the steering quite a bit though which is nice.
Steering will feel lighter, but in the sense that you aren't pushing a large tire around, road feedback is still there.

zimm

Caught the Bug
It's a great kit, I have a thread here somewhere about my install I did a couple of months ago. It's much better on the street. No more nasty feedback through the steering on the highway. It hold it's line and tracks much better, even more so pulling a trailer. When first turning off-center, it's quick, so it'll take some time to get used to it.

Make sure to pay attention to the which line from the ram goes to what port. It's listed as two different ways, but the JK instructions has it right. The diagram I think was backwards.

Make sure to leave the 3/4" return line long enough for the airbox to squash in place. I just noticed mine is too short and the airbox is smooshing it. I had to order some more push-locking hose and I'll re-do it soon.

Also make sure suspension is at full droop before measuring and cutting those high pressure lines.

My install:

https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/48334-PSC-hydro-steering-installed?highlight=steering

Ddays

Hooked
One of side effects I noticed is slightly slower steering response at low speeds, like when you try to whip into a parking lot space. You'll notice it pretty quick if you try to spin the wheel
with a finger inside the steering wheel. Its not bad but I overshot several parking spots before I got used to it. PSC does offer a larger hose assy that gets rid of this.
Hinrich installed one a couple months ago.

J

JKDream

PSC does offer a larger hose assy that gets rid of this.
Hinrich installed one a couple months ago.

Do you have any more info on this? I thought this was more related to the flow of the pump.

Rocralr

Hi. I have 37's on now but I am going to 40's. Just waiting for my axles and all the other goodies to show up. All ready ordered. 40's with 538 gears and 60 axles.

Ddays

Hooked
That hose kit is nice, but it does nothing for slow speed fyi.

Really?! I thought that was the whole idea behind the damn thing? What in the hell is the point of it then?

Edit: This is the description of this hose from them. I added the italics & underline

"12-17 Jeep JK OEM steering high pressure hoses have found to be to restrictive and have a teflon insert. Stock pumps or upgraded pumps overheat when you install larger tires and ask the small piston gear box to turn them. The heat melts the teflon insert and sends it directly into the valve of the gearbox.We have found that this restriction also can have some overall system speed issues when adding cylinder assist. PSC now has a true 1/2" ID pressure hose kit with no teflon insert that converts your pump and gear box to -8 AN for super easy install. Combine this with the -8 AN return line kit for maximum increase in flow and turning speed."

Last edited:
J

JKDream

Really?! I thought that was the whole idea behind the damn thing? What in the hell is the point of it then?

Edit: This is the description of this hose from them. I added the italics & underline

"12-17 Jeep JK OEM steering high pressure hoses have found to be to restrictive and have a teflon insert. Stock pumps or upgraded pumps overheat when you install larger tires and ask the small piston gear box to turn them. The heat melts the teflon insert and sends it directly into the valve of the gearbox.We have found that this restriction also can have some overall system speed issues when adding cylinder assist. PSC now has a true 1/2" ID pressure hose kit with no teflon insert that converts your pump and gear box to -8 AN for super easy install. Combine this with the -8 AN return line kit for maximum increase in flow and turning speed."
Perhaps that's is if the Teflon blocks one of the ports. I don't think they're large enough to let Teflon into the gear box though so not sure I buy into that.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using WAYALIFE mobile app

zimm

Caught the Bug
Well shit, I dropped $75 already on the hose (15 shipping). I need to replace the feed line from res to pump anyway, it's too short and the air box is crushing it. While I got it drained, I might as well run the new pressure hose.

icufltrn

I have the complete system and love it. I never noticed any difference in the steering except I can turn it easily when crawling. I was worried when I had read people saying that they didn't return to center very well. My wife has driven it and never noticed anything about it at all.

Ddays

Hooked
Well shit, I dropped $75 already on the hose (15 shipping). I need to replace the feed line from res to pump anyway, it's too short and the air box is crushing it. While I got it drained, I might as well run the new pressure hose.

Shit, sorry man. Honestly, if I was installing this kit again I'd probably have installed this hose. I like the heavier fittings - they look less likely to come loose and leak like mine do from time to time...

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I figured why not just get the hoses, but wish I would have done it when I installed everything tho like Ddays said. Not that it was hard, but still kinda annoying.

Top Bottom