New Shoes

JohnK

So I've had it for about 5 months now and finally got around to some new shoes. Replaced the stock 255/75R17 BFG M/T's with 315/70R17 Firestone Destination M/T2 - what a difference. Smooth ride, less noise, strong sidewalls. Can't wait to try them out offroad soon.

Well that's different....
1109171610.jpg

Last look on stock
1109171614.jpg

On the lift
1109171713.jpg
1109171713a.jpg

Outside the hangar when I dropped the old BFG's off (re-use on my WJ to help sell it)
1109171827a.jpg

JK

JohnK

Better pics from the office this morning, really happy with these so far, may try them out offroad this weekend.

JK

1110171054_HDR.jpg
1110171054a_HDR.jpg
1110171054b_HDR.jpg
1110171054c_HDR.jpg

Ddays

Hooked
Its amazing how much of a difference aggressive tires make in the appearance, isn't it? Those look pretty sweet. :cool:

JohnK

Looks good. Let us know how the tires wear & perform.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
Will do.

I ran through 2 sets of the Destination A/T on my WJ, first one went 60K, second was almost 40K and still has life but some outer edge rolling due to front end wear. They were a pretty decent tire.

The reviews on the M/T2 have been very good, so my hopes are high. I am recovering from ACL reconstruction surgery so no hardcore offroad for a few weeks yet but I plan to try them out on a truck trail or two this weekend, check fitment with the Teraflex 2.5" and the hubcentric spacers I put on to help them tuck in.

JK

JohnK

So by the numbers, the Firestone Destination M/T2 315/70R17 stand at a fraction over 34" tall inflated with weight on. Front fender lip over the wheel center measures 39" from the ground, rear fender lip over the wheel center measures 40" from the ground - I installed a Teraflex 2.5" BB shortly after I brought the Jeep home. From a weight standpoint, my JKU has an AEV front bumper with a Warn 9.5 and steel rope, SRC sliders, and a Rancho rear tire carrier with my hi-lift and a spare (currently the stock BFG 255/75R17 since Firestone did not order my spare as requested).

Road manners from around town to the highway are, so far, very good. I did not realize how rough the BFG MT's had gotten because the Destination M/T2's ride smooth and quiet, especially for a large MT. The sidewalls when inflated feel stiffer as there is a pronounced lack of roll into corners, and there is no bounce or vibration from the individual lugs like th BFG's even though the M/T2 features both much larger lugs and more open space in the contact patch.

It has to be in my head but I swear it feels as if driveability has improved - I was prepared for a loss of acceleration but it feels like the gearing is somehow 'happier', also there was some indiscriminate noise/nervousness or buzz that I attributed to the engine/transmission with the BFG's installed that is now gone, overall the driving experience is substantially improved.

On the highway, tire/road noise seems to be just over half as pronounced as the BFG's. The M/T2's have deep siping in every lug (apparently almost full depth). Hill performance in 6th gear is as bad as always (stock 3.8L), but all other gears really don't feel to have lost much, 1st and 2nd in particular 'feel' better.

3 of the 4 balanced easy although they appear to have taken a bit of weight, the tech at the tire shop took a little longer on the 4th but the ride is smooth and there is no indication of bad balance - I went ahead and did the lifetime balance and rotation. I have never had tires this size before - largest I ever ran were 33's on my old '77 International Harvester Scout II.

Assuming I get out to one of the local trails I'll report back on offroad feel/performance later this weekend or next.

Larger tires and a modest lift make such a difference in the character of any JK, I am very pleased right now with the ride and look - exhaust is next (my WJ had a 4.7L with a Flowmaster Delta 40 and the exhaust note was perfect - looking to do the best I can with the 3.8).

JK

Last edited:
Top Bottom