Waterproof key?

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
So my 1 year old son thought it would be fun to throw my keys in the toilet! Freak out moment, so I grabbed them and quickly opened it but to my surprise there was a nice seal and no water. Curious to know if they are truly waterproof. Well at least it's there for insurance for small dips.
20171110_203925%7E2.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using WAYALIFE mobile app

zimm

Caught the Bug
I washed mine a couple of times, no damage.

I did get a metal copy made, it's good to take along if I'm going scuba diving.. It'll open the door and set off the alarm, but won't start the jeep. Also nice to have in case I lock my keys inside.

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
I washed mine a couple of times, no damage.

I did get a metal copy made, it's good to take along if I'm going scuba diving.. It'll open the door and set off the alarm, but won't start the jeep. Also nice to have in case I lock my keys inside.
Such a great idea. I'll definitely do this. I currently have no spare and didn't want to pay for another chip key.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Brute

Hooked
I've got a question for anybody else that has oem half doors...my main key opens the door and starts the engine...but it appears to be a solid key with no battery, since there are no power locks...however, the spare I have will also open the door and fit the ignition, but will not start the engine. Does my main key also have a chip in it?

SDG

Caught the Bug
I've got a question for anybody else that has oem half doors...my main key opens the door and starts the engine...but it appears to be a solid key with no battery, since there are no power locks...however, the spare I have will also open the door and fit the ignition, but will not start the engine. Does my main key also have a chip in it?
I think all the ignition keys are chipped, regardless of power accessories.

I am going to guess they are some sort of RFID and don't actually take power to register with the electronics and the battery stuff is just for the door lock unlock stuff.

Brute

Hooked
I think all the ignition keys are chipped, regardless of power accessories.

I am going to guess they are some sort of RFID and don't actually take power to register with the electronics and the battery stuff is just for the door lock unlock stuff.

Sounds plausible to me...if I want an actual backup key to start the engine, do I need to go to a dealership?

Nick Zambo

Mine have gone through the washer about a dozen times. Still good! *Note*I don’t have one of those energy efficient washers ether, where talking full bath! Great way to keep your keys looking new. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

SDG

Caught the Bug
Sounds plausible to me...if I want an actual backup key to start the engine, do I need to go to a dealership?
I am not sure on that. I would assume so since I think they take the VIN to figure out how to program the chip. Not sure where else you could get it.

BobNH

If you have two chipped keys, you can buy blanks on Amazon and program them yourself, it's in the owners manual. If you only have one chipped key, then yes, dealership is your only answer unless you wrote down the key code somewhere. I have nonidea what it looks like though, so can't tell you where to find that code.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Brute

Hooked
I am not sure on that. I would assume so since I think they take the VIN to figure out how to program the chip. Not sure where else you could get it.

If you have two chipped keys, you can buy blanks on Amazon and program them yourself, it's in the owners manual. If you only have one chipped key, then yes, dealership is your only answer unless you wrote down the key code somewhere. I have nonidea what it looks like though, so can't tell you where to find that code.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Thank you gentleman...

Top Bottom