Blew a heater hose

ryanbauer

Pretty surprised at this one. I heard a thermostat malfunction can cause a hose to burst like this. Anyone else have this issue? Waiting on the parts store to deliver the new hose and I’m going to go ahead and swap the thermostat. Pretty fun getting my hand back towards the firewall for the heater hoses. IMG_5187.JPG

jsukey

Depends on how you look at it. It’s in a bend, which tends to be a weak spot. I should’ve asked what year as well! Did you notice anything rubbing the hose at that spot? Thermostat could’ve definitely led to its failure.

ryanbauer

Depends on how you look at it. It’s in a bend, which tends to be a weak spot. I should’ve asked what year as well! Did you notice anything rubbing the hose at that spot? Thermostat could’ve definitely led to its failure.

It’s an 07. No visible wear or rubbing and the hose seemed to be in good condition. Definitely a weak spot but I guess I’m just surprised honestly, gonna get to it next weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jsukey

Well, either way you look at it...it’s a 10 year old hose! It is a piece of rubber any way you look at it. Whether it was a repeated thermal failure, or potential dry rot...it’s just one of those things. Like you said, it wouldn’t hurt to go ahead and change the thermostat while you’re in there. Cheap insurance for sure. Mine is an ‘07 as well. I’m sitting at 124k miles. You’re doing pretty good with your mileage! I’ve blown the upper rad hose off of my SRT8, twice in the past 6 months. I just bought a 1 piece upper for it a couple of weeks ago though. I also decided to go ahead and do the upper and lower on my JK while I was up to the task and had pretty much all of the needed tools out anyways.

Top Bottom