2013 JKU Rubi Pinch Seams Done at Factory!

mortuar

Hey everyone -

I just saw some news on FB about the pinch seams on a 2013 being pre-trimmed at the factory. I didn't know if this was the case... but I ran out to the garage and took a look at the 2013 I took delivery of last week and sure enough the seams are pre-trimmed! :wings:

I know this isn't anything major... but I'm happy I won't have to do any cutting/painting on the body of my brand new JK for a while. Thought I'd share the info as it was news to me! :beer:

8494672131_52db67b7e3_z.jpg

8494672207_931d22d76f_z.jpg

8494672663_eebfefcbd7_z.jpg

8494672383_7e186186da_z.jpg

mtnbiker995

I wonder of they did it for the off-roaders or if they just wanted a more 'clean' look in the wheel well...

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Well it's about time but, you'll still want to trim your rock rails a bit. The nice thing is that it's easy and can still be plugged with the factoy plug :yup:

catahoula

Caught the Bug
Now that is slick. In my area some Stealerships have been installing 2.5" Mopar lifts with 305's..@ 34" tires and leaving the pinch seam. Can you give us a shot of it facing towards front of Jeep? Reason I ask when they are trimmed i've noticed it opens up the cavity between the outer and inner panel.

mortuar

I wonder of they did it for the off-roaders or if they just wanted a more 'clean' look in the wheel well...

Not sure... I'd wager it was to fit larger tires - or maybe they had rare issues with them. I just can't see Chrysler going out of their way to make the wheel well look cleaner.

mortuar

Well it's about time but, you'll still want to trim your rock rails a bit. The nice thing is that it's easy and can still be plugged with the factoy plug :yup:

Definitely! I'm one of those guys that has a hard time cutting into something that is not easily replaceable... but the rock rails don't bother me at all, I'll be shortening them up once I get some larger meats. :thumb:

mortuar

Now that is slick. In my area some Stealerships have been installing 2.5" Mopar lifts with 305's..@ 34" tires and leaving the pinch seam. Can you give us a shot of it facing towards front of Jeep? Reason I ask when they are trimmed i've noticed it opens up the cavity between the outer and inner panel.

Ask and you shall receive:

8495902564_c298af1778_z.jpg

Looks like they just stuff it with some foam... they don't actually seal up the end. I'm not sure how big of a deal that is being they clearly clean it up and repaint it.

HGJKRubi

They must not have started this until the December builds. Mine is a November 2012 build and the seams are how they've always been. My bro-in-law has a December 2012 build and he's got the factory trimmed seams. It's one less thing to do to fit larger tires.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Here is the article about it:

Wrangler quietly altered for modders
pinch-seam.jpg

According to Allpar reader MoparNorm, Jeep has trimmed the pinch weld seam at the rear wheels of the Wrangler. This weld seam appeared in 2007, and is not an issue unless owners replace their stock tires with 35-37 inch tires, which are fairly common in the aftermarket. The unannounced change was seen by several Jeep dealers on 2013 Wranglers as they arrived. Norm wrote, “The pinch seam is on the red-painted metal; it used to be cut on a 90 degree (vertical), it’s now cut on a 45-degree angle, away from the tire.”

http://www.allpar.com/news/index.php/2013/02/wrangler-quietly-altered-for-modders

mortuar

Finally! So many times I've heard, "It should come like this from the factory!" Finally they did one. Yea!

Right! Why couldn't they have done the hemi or diesel instead of trimming the pinch seam! Hahaha. :)

I will say that this seems like a logical first step in having a small lift and 35's be stock on a Rubicon though. :eek:

Last edited:
Top Bottom