Ring and Pinion Install With Arb Locker

I wanted to see how many guys on here have done there ring and pinion themselves along with ARB lockers? I just ordered front and rear lockers along with new axle shafts they are back ordered till mid-December and wanted to see if i could do it my self as i do alot of my own work and have a pretty good aptitude when it comes to automotive work.

alf1096

I did my ring and pinion. While it was doable if you take your time and are a competent wrencher with the 1000 dollar specials for parts and labor floating around now I wouldn’t do it myself again for that kind of money.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
You will likely spend 500 bucks in specialty tools if you don't already have them along with about 4-5 hours in labor per axle. And it sucks to do in a driveway compared to having a lift. Once you receive your instructions from ARB, read them and/or watch YouTube videos ahead of time. You will see how time-consuming it is to set it up CORRECTLY. You will need a press, larger sockets, yoke holder, inch pound torque wrench (non click style), etc. As the previous poster stated, with decent shop labor prices, it's really just better to pay someone. There's a lot to it. Not really hard, just time-consuming.

Exodus 4x4

I wanted to see how many guys on here have done there ring and pinion themselves along with ARB lockers? I just ordered front and rear lockers along with new axle shafts they are back ordered till mid-December and wanted to see if i could do it my self as i do alot of my own work and have a pretty good aptitude when it comes to automotive work.

While there’s a lot of things you can do yourself on your Jeep, this is one of those things your probably should steer clear of. If not done right you can end of spending a whole lot more money than you tried to save.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jeeeep

Hooked
like all others have stated, if you have the indoor space, tools and time to stay on it to completion, it can be done.

buddy tried to do his - between the cost of tools he didn't have and the start/stop process to get tools or other parts they begin to rust.

they don't do well in the elements under a tarp when a project like that stretches out over a 3 week period in rain and nasty humidity.

fiend

Caught the Bug
I did mine in my driveway. Just ring and pinion with stock Rubicon lockers. It’s a project that’s better to have done than to do. Mine went pretty smoothly and 30k miles later, not issues. I helped a buddy do his this summer and it was a huge PITA. We eventually got it done and it all works, but every obstacle we could face, we did. Don’t do it unless you have another car to drive in case your project extends itself.

any4xx

Allow me to join the others here and suggest paying to have it done. I’ve done it before and still have all of the tools to do it again. But what a tedious job. I need to regear my Jeep and I’m actually trying to talk myself into just dropping $10k on new axles rather than going through the PITA to open mine up. Second choice is to pay a shop to do it. Even though I already own the proper tools and have done it before, doing it again is a distant third-place choice for me. But I’m lucky enough to finally be at that point in my life where money is more plentiful than time and patience.

Thanks everyone for all the responses it's a tough decision but every one recommends a shop so i will probably go that route although i have the tools and the knowledge.

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
If you have the tools and the knowledge by all means do it. But I will caution you, I as well have all the tools and am a heavy equipment mechanic by trade. Setting mine up myself without the experience in this particular nich proved to be more headache than it was worth. On the other hand I can still say that I am the only person who built my jeep, so there is that. In the long run I will gladly pay someone to set up my axles the next time around.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jesse3638

Hooked
I'd say if you have the time and want to spend the money on tools you may not have give it a shot. Worst case scenario is you take the axle at parts to a shop to have them finish it up. Maybe you save a few bucks on disassembly. I personally don't have the time or tools so I'll be heading to ORE when I get mine done.

Top Bottom