Coils Coils Coils

LoPo

Caught the Bug
I currently have the Teraflex 6" rear Coils. I'm about to buy some King 2.5's for the rear... and debating about swapping out my coils at the same time, which would have impact on which King Shock length I select. I'm trying to find a coil that's softer than the TF's, but not so soft that the rear end sags under a slight weight increase. I don't fully understand coil spring rates, but I did confirm with SkyJacker that their 5" coils are factory spring rate, which I can assume is definitely softer than the TF spring rate.

My questions are should I look at coils with factory spring rates and are there any other options I should consider? Mel told me to consider the EVO Plush 4" springs, but I don't like how much they sag under the weigh of gear along with a tire carrier and I heard from ORE that they are close to the factory spring rate...:thinking:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Well, the good news is that just about any coil you can run will be softer than what you have now. The downside is that you'll be hard pressed to find one as tall as what you have. Needless to say, whatever you get, you will most likely need to run coil spacers to help make up the difference. Of course, that isn't necessarily a bad thing as that will open the door to more possibilities like running coils with factory spring rates along with coil spacers. Unfortunately, the TF 6" coils are really really tall and I don't know of too many out there that come close even with spacers.

StrizzyChris

Just food for thought....if u are planning on shedding that kind of money on shocks, plus upgrade ur coils, plus possibly need to buy spacers as well......might as well go with EVO's coilovers that include rockstars! Unless you have your heart set on shocks and coils

Sent from a migrant connectivity device

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Just food for thought....if u are planning on shedding that kind of money on shocks, plus upgrade ur coils, plus possibly need to buy spacers as well......might as well go with EVO's coilovers that include rockstars! Unless you have your heart set on shocks and coils

Sent from a migrant connectivity device

He has DTD in the front and lever is way more expensive.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I think its like $800-$1000 more, no?

King 2.5's - $800ish
4" plush ride coils are $189
Bolt on rear is $1900

LoPo

Caught the Bug
The rear bolt on kit might be a good option. It is not much more that king 2.5 shocks plus springs.

I asked, Mel told me flat out not to do that. I need something with a 2.5" shock body to attempt to balance out the DTD in the front. The DTD EVOLever option for me is $5,100 in parts. Life has a habit of altering your plans and I'm not going to be able to swing that kind of coin in the near future.

silverbackjk

I asked, Mel told me flat out not to do that. I need something with a 2.5" shock body to attempt to balance out the DTD in the front. The DTD EVOLever option for me is $5,100 in parts. Life has a habit of altering your plans and I'm not going to be able to swing that kind of coin in the near future.

Well that makes sense. Yea that is a lot of coin to shell out. I only dream about a DTD. Maybe some say.

GCM 2

Maybe you could cut some cost and just do the EVO lever with only coilovers? You can upgrade to the by-pass shocks later when you have the extra coin. You would be running a Throw Down, just not a Double Throw Down. Not sure how much that would do to cut cost :thinking:

LoPo

Caught the Bug
Maybe you could cut some cost and just do the EVO lever with only coilovers? You can upgrade to the by-pass shocks later when you have the extra coin. You would be running a Throw Down, just not a Double Throw Down. Not sure how much that would do to cut cost :thinking:

With Bumpstops, just below $3,800. Without closer to $3,100.:crazyeyes:

FoxC

Does full Traction still offer 6" coils?? I know 2012fngjk702 from this forum runs these coils with a full bumper /carrier/37's. I have taken a ride in it and I thought it rode great. Very comparable to my evo coils, only slightly taller. Might be an option...:idontknow:

Top Bottom