Rugged Ridge Billet Aluminum Hood Latches Install

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
Besides looking cool these sweet hood latches stop the hood flutter you will get when your booking it to the trail head or on the highway to work. I finally ordered myself a pair. They magically appeared on my front porch yesterday and I made some time to install them. It was a very easy install aside from the small area you have to work in to remove the bottom portion of the hood latches. Good finger dexterity is a plus here!

This is what you get, along with a vague set of instructions:

All the nuts are nylock so you don't have to worry about using Locktight on them.

IMG_2541.jpg

You need these tools:
  1. 1/4" ratchet drive
  2. 10 mm socket
  3. 13 mm socket
  4. 5 mm Allen wrench
  5. Two 4 mm Allen wrenches
  6. 5/8" wrench (not pictured :blush: )
IMG_4355.jpg

1. Remove the hood side stock latches. There are two 10 mm nuts holding the the latch on. Once the nuts were loose they unscrewed by hand easily. There is a black plastic paint protector clipped to the edge of the hood. Just pull and it comes off easily. I screwed the nuts back on the bolts after removal so I don't loose them.

IMG_4336.jpg

IMG_4342.jpg

2. Remove the bottom/fender pieces of the hood latches. This is where it gets a little more difficult. If you have huge hands your going to need to get your wife or teenager to help you out. There is one 13 mm nut you have to loosen. I was able to get the ratchet in from the top and loosen the nut. Once it's loose it unscrews by hand very easy. I didn't find any of the nuts to be obnoxiously tight.

When you pull the bottom bracket off there is a small rubber hood bumper attached to the bracket, remove it gently. It basically "snaps" onto the bracket. Notice the tabs on the latch. The new latches have tabs that match so placement is easy.

IMG_4346.jpg

IMG_4347.jpg

3. Before installing the new bottom brackets you will need to disconnect the small hinge bolt that connects the catch portion to the mounting bracket. You will need the two 4 mm Allen wrenches to disconnect the hinge. This step is documented in the instructions and is pretty self explanatory.

4. Next install the bottom brackets, get the more difficult part out of the way. You'll need your 5 mm Allen wrench and your 13 mm socket and drive for this. Use the Allen wrench in the head of the provided Rugged Ridge bolt. Attach the rubber hood bumper to the proper spot on the new bracket, it's pretty self explanatory. There is only one way for the new bracket to fit onto the body of the Jeep. Put the rubber gasket between the body and the bracket then insert the bolt. While holding one finger on the screw to keep it pushed through I was able to put the washer on the screw and get the nut started. That's probably the hardest part. You may have to use some tricks like taping the, washer, nut, and socket together with painter's/masking tape to help get this done. This is also a good time to have the wife and kids assist. I found it easier to use the Allen wrench to take the slack out of the bolt until the nut got tight. A good T-handle Allen wrench would have been nice here. Re-attach the hood catch to the bracket using the two 4 mm Allen wrenches. Make sure everything is straight then tighten it all up and move to the other side.

IMG_4338.jpg

IMG_4339.jpg

5. Time for the upper catch. You will need your 4 mm Allen wrench and 10 mm socket for this. Place the rubber gasket on the hood and place the bracket on top of the gasket and put the bolts in. This is easy but make sure to keep the gasket centered and lined up as there is more play on the top latch. Put the provided washer and nylock nut on the bolts and just snug them. Once you've looked to make sure the gasket is straight under the catch proceed to tighten.

IMG_4356.jpg

IMG_4363.jpg

6. Now that you have the top catches on close the hood and test the fit. You will need to unscrew the jam nuts on the billet latch in order to adjust the width of the adjustment rod. Rotate the latch counter clockwise to open the gap which results in less compression of the hood or rotate it clockwise to close the gap creating a tighter compression of the hood. The hood should contact and slightly compress the hood bumper when the latches are adjusted properly. Once you have the latches adjusted properly use a 5/8" wrench to tighten the jam nut. I put a little dab of blue locktight under each jam nut just to be safe.

IMG_4348.jpg

IMG_4345.jpg

IMG_4352.jpg

That's all there is to it! Enjoy no more hood flutter! :rock:

Last edited:

Sharkey

Word Ninja
^^X's 2. Looks like a great alternative to drakes, especially if the price is more reasonable.

Last edited:

RamP

Good job on the write up and they do look cool. Do you find them easier to release than the stock ones?

Web Architect

Mine were much harder to release, and latch, than stock. They were so tight, it concerned me, but figured it was worth it considering the super charger under the hood. Seems that issue is behind now. Oddly, one key can be removed from the lock when open. One cannot.

I like them, and don't miss the flutter.

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
Good job on the write up and they do look cool. Do you find them easier to release than the stock ones?

Thanks. No they are not harder to close than the stock ones. The key is to make sure you have them adjusted properly.

Mine were much harder to release, and latch, than stock. They were so tight, it concerned me, but figured it was worth it considering the super charger under the hood. Seems that issue is behind now. Oddly, one key can be removed from the lock when open. One cannot.

I like them, and don't miss the flutter.

Are we talking about the same hood latches? These don't have locks. They are just adjustable hood latches that have a solid rod between the latching mechanism and the lower mount. If they are too tight you should be able to loosen these up by unlatching them, loosening both the jam nuts and actually screwing or unscrewing the latch on the center threaded piece. Once adjusted you can test the tension and re-adjust until you get the right tension for your liking. Just make sure to re-tighten the jam nuts back so there is no movement.

Sorry for the delayed answer something is wrong with my subscription to the thread. :idontknow:

chamberlin

This text is from another thread, discussing these new Rugged Ridge latches....thought I would cross-post it here as well:

Just wanted to chime in and say that I finally got a set of these in black as I mentioned previously. However, I wanted to let everyone know that if you have the bushwacker pocket fenders, that these hinges will NOT fit without significant dremel work. I also had to break off the 2 cast alignment fingers on the latches to get them to drop in. Took me about 2 hours to do the first latch, trying to find ways around things and trying to avoid cutting the fenders....but once I made the commitment to cut and also modify the lower mounting block, things went OK. With a an actual plan, I was able to do the other side in less than 20 minutes. I'll post some pics of them installed when I have the courage to show off my hack job!

StrizzyChris

Why would Chrysler not go with a design close to this? manufacture cost cant be much more...id be glad to pay $20 more sticker cost for ditching the shit stock latches! :twocents:

Panda

I wanted to add to this thread that if you pull your inner fender liner down a little you can easily reach the bottom bolts from underneath MUCH easier no help from the wifey needed :yup:

Top Bottom