Locking a winch

Woke up this morning to my winch cable being pulled all the way and laid out in the middle of the road. I'm sure someone thought it was funny. And truth be told, it kind of is. But, so that it doesn't happen again does anyone have an idea on how to lock up the lever on the winch so it can't be spooled out by just anyone?
Winch is a Warn VR10S.

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
Woke up this morning to my winch cable being pulled all the way and laid out in the middle of the road. I'm sure someone thought it was funny. And truth be told, it kind of is. But, so that it doesn't happen again does anyone have an idea on how to lock up the lever on the winch so it can't be spooled out by just anyone?
Winch is a Warn VR10S.

Maybe a garage? Or you could park your rig in the backyard?

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
Or you could do what my father in law does to squirrels that bother his bird feeders. Attach some electricity to it and as soon as they touch it, zap!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Lol. I think it was someone who knows you. Otherwise the rope would have been gone to a new home. There’s really no way to stop it from happening without welding up a box over the handle with a keyed door. Even if you lock the end of it to your bumper can still be unspooled.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Lol. I think it was someone who knows you. Otherwise the rope would have been gone to a new home. There’s really no way to stop it from happening without welding up a box over the handle with a keyed door. Even if you lock the end of it to your bumper can still be unspooled.

Haha yeah I agree. The wife seems to think it was a friend just messing with me too. I may not worry about it and just deal with it if it happens again.

Judesign

Caught the Bug

Lmao this. I can see you locking the eye to your bumper and the smartasses still unspool it just doubled over.

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
If the VR uses the same anchor system as the Zeon then it might have been an attempted theft. Might have been someone hoping to find synthetic line to attach to a bolt on style drum. The Zeon anchor is a pain in the ass to get on and off which is a good thing for this reason.

toyotire

If the VR uses the same anchor system as the Zeon then it might have been an attempted theft. Might have been someone hoping to find synthetic line to attach to a bolt on style drum. The Zeon anchor is a pain in the ass to get on and off which is a good thing for this reason.

the VR just uses a bolt to the drum. Even so it would have been easy to cut if a thief wanted it.

toyotire

you can just pull the lever easy enough but then unless you have some kind of plug for it you would worry about water/mud etc getting in. You could drill a hole in the lever and hook a small cable to it to prevent it from being put into freespool. a cheap cover keeps the looky loos away.

TRLJNKY

I like the cable lock idea. Not sure if the handle is removable. I will check.
The only issue with lockin the cable to the bumper is the jerkoffs can still unspool it and lose tension. Than you may have a mess later when you need it. I agree sounds like they were trying to be funny but what a PITA anyway

aka cavfighter

Last edited:
Top Bottom