5.13's with 35's???

munstie

Was wondering if anyone is running this setup on a automatic, and how is it at highway speeds.

2011 JKU 3.5 R.E. Longarm lift.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
It's a good setup on an old 3.8L. I would definitely run it as it gives you a nice boost in power.

I am running 5.13s with 37"s in my '10 JKU and I get very good power. One just needs to remember to be easy with the skinny while wheelin'.

TacPen

Banned
I've got the 4.88 setup with 35's and if I had to do it over again... I'd go 5.13 without pause if I thought I might ever want larger tires in the future (yes, I do highway to get to my wheeling areas, it's still fine).

When I put in up my 44 front I might put 5.13's in anyway and just replace the rear.

munstie

Are there concerns with the 5.13's in a 30 and wheeling, a buddy is getting rid of his J.K. and was considering swapping axles, his are sleeved and gussets, and lower control arm skids.

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Are there concerns with the 5.13's in a 30 and wheeling, a buddy is getting rid of his J.K. and was considering swapping axles, his are sleeved and gussets, and lower control arm skids.

Yes, there are especially if you lock it up. The pinion on a 5.13 in a Dana 30 is really really small and you will risk breaking it if you're wheeling really hard with a locked up front end.

pastorwug

This a great response for me as I have decided to just go with 35s not 37s.
I'll be shopping for some 5.13 gears soon.

munstie

Yes, there are especially if you lock it up. The pinion on a 5.13 in a Dana 30 is really really small and you will risk breaking it if you're wheeling really hard with a locked up front end.

So as long as I don't put a locker in they should be alright, or is it just to weak of a setup, or just continue to save for a P.R.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So as long as I don't put a locker in they should be alright, or is it just to weak of a setup, or just continue to save for a P.R.

You can do it but I personally wouldn't as it would be too weak. If it were me, I would save your money and just play with what you've got until it either breaks or you can afford to get a prorock.

munstie

Thanks for the input Eddie, and everyone else, I guess I'm itching to do some more mods.

Philip *AZ*

Banned
I am going to run a Corporate 14 rear and D60 up front. I will be running a 5:13 setup. I had 5:13's in my 98 GMC and loved it. That truck rolled 37's like they were 33's.

StrizzyChris

I am going to run a Corporate 14 rear and D60 up front. I will be running a 5:13 setup. I had 5:13's in my 98 GMC and loved it. That truck rolled 37's like they were 33's.

A JK is certainly no GMC truck. Even 2012+, wont push 37's like 33's with 5.13's. Have u thought about 5.38's since ur plannin on running 60 and a 14? Your R&P can certainly handle it!

Sent from a migrant connectivity device

Philip *AZ*

Banned
Actually no. I wasn't trying to thread hack. I just threw that out there because of how much weight Im about to add to the JK. Im dropping an LS2 here soon as well. I am just a fan of the 5:13. I know Diddly about gears, just loved em in my old truck.

StrizzyChris

Actually no. I wasn't trying to thread hack. I just threw that out there because of how much weight Im about to add to the JK. Im dropping an LS2 here soon as well. I am just a fan of the 5:13. I know Diddly about gears, just loved em in my old truck.

Ah, an LS makes it a completely different ballgame! 3.6L or 3.8L and you may want to consider the 5.38 especially in an automatic!

Sent from a migrant connectivity device

Jeeper_2010

I keep putting this off. My '11 JKU is my DD and I really don't want buyers remorse on this kind of mod. I'm currently running 35" BFG on 4.10s. Once my new lift is in, I'm looking to run 37" tires. I just can't commit to gear ratio. Maybe 37" will make it such a dog I'll have to make a decision.

I keep putting this off. My '11 JKU is my DD and I really don't want buyers remorse on this kind of mod. I'm currently running 35" BFG on 4.10s. Once my new lift is in, I'm looking to run 37" tires. I just can't commit to gear ratio. Maybe 37" will make it such a dog I'll have to make a decision.

Yep! Those 4.10s try in to push 37"s will definitely help your decision making efforts!

sent from my Razr-M while driving my JK-U.......

Top Bottom