Regear and Lockers

Harezack

This is probably going to be a stupid question but this is my first jeep always had little tuner cars before. Best investment ever was getting away from them and getting a jeep. I️ have a 2012 jeep jk sport 2 dr with a 3.5 inch lift and 35/12.50r17 nittos, and I️ recently received a Dana 30 front axle. The axle has no gears, lockers but has been sleeved, gusseted, trussed and an aftermarket diff cover. I️ don’t wheel my jeep a ton but do occasionally get out and do some trails, so this axle should hold up to what I️ want it to do plus it was only $400 so I️ couldn’t really go wrong. I️ have been researching rehearing my jeep and adding lockers. I’ve been thinking of 4.10s or 4.56 because I️ do drive on the highway quite often. What would you guys recommend? I️ don’t have a clue about lockers. What’s everyone running for lockers? What’s everyone’s thoughts on mechanical lockers? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I’m trying to learn as much as I️ can before I️ pull the trigger and buy some parts! Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

BaddestCross

This is probably going to be a stupid question but this is my first jeep always had little tuner cars before. Best investment ever was getting away from them and getting a jeep. I️ have a 2012 jeep jk sport 2 dr with a 3.5 inch lift and 35/12.50r17 nittos, and I️ recently received a Dana 30 front axle. The axle has no gears, lockers but has been sleeved, gusseted, trussed and an aftermarket diff cover. I️ don’t wheel my jeep a ton but do occasionally get out and do some trails, so this axle should hold up to what I️ want it to do plus it was only $400 so I️ couldn’t really go wrong. I️ have been researching rehearing my jeep and adding lockers. I’ve been thinking of 4.10s or 4.56 because I️ do drive on the highway quite often. What would you guys recommend? I️ don’t have a clue about lockers. What’s everyone running for lockers? What’s everyone’s thoughts on mechanical lockers? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I’m trying to learn as much as I️ can before I️ pull the trigger and buy some parts! Thank you!

Most here will probably tell you to throw it away, but a deal's a deal... Probably not a good idea to lock a 30, but 4.88 gears are probably what you'll want for your setup. ARB air locker for the rear.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

jorgelrod

Hooked
Lock the rear, Gusset the C's on the 30 and leave it open. ARB is the golden standard but requires an air compressor to operate. Learn from mistake of others, namely me, don't dump a ton of cash on the 30. Regear to 4.88 if you want more power of the line. 4.56 if you want a closer feel to the standard jeep stock.

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
Don’t lock it and regardless of axle don’t put a mechanical locker in the front of a daily driven rig. I don’t think you can even get away with mechanical lockers in a 12 anyways due to the abs/traction control. I’d sell the 30 and put that money towards a 44.

ADA OZ

Sorry to hear that. D30 4.88s TruTrac and 37s. Beat the piss out of it. Still clipping along. Of course that East Coast beating which is different from a west coast beating.

Everyone’s allowed to have different opinions and outcomes.

jorgelrod

Hooked
I see nothing wrong with 4.88s and a TruTrac up front. Much better than leaving it open

I've done the TrueTrac on a 30 and yes it's a good LSD, but if you ever at any point have thought of later upgrading, my recommendation is don't do it. It'll just be money wasted that could have been saved for a ProRock44. I say this from experience.

ADA OZ

I’m with you. That is the most money to be put into a 30. It has done well so far and I personally feel they are stronger than they get credit for and can last a while with some brain to foot moderation. The end game is to upgrade to a stronger unit.

Top Bottom