Locker options

Great Pumkin

So I’m wanting some opinions. I’ve been a jeep owner for a while but have never had a locker so I have a few questions. First air lockers or electric? And do I go all in buying lockers for front and rear or just start with the rear? How often do you fully lock in front and rear or just one axle? I know it sounds like a Newby question.

2012 Sahara

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
So I’m wanting some opinions. I’ve been a jeep owner for a while but have never had a locker so I have a few questions. First air lockers or electric? And do I go all in buying lockers for front and rear or just start with the rear? How often do you fully lock in front and rear or just one axle? I know it sounds like a Newby question.

2012 Sahara

First ask yourself if you need lockers. What type of wheeling are you doing?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

You’ll lock the rear more than the front if you have both. Being that you have a Sahara, you might want to avoid locking the front axle unless you upgrade to a 44. I like my ARB air lockers...they work great, and the air compressor serves to air up your tires at the same time.

Great Pumkin

Most of my wheeling is more overland for hunting and fishing but we do live in some rough country where it can get pretty good. I was thinking to be able to be locked up for mud and snow mostly. Yeah I still have the stock axle up front but I found a housing from a stock rubi I was thinking could be a good way to go and then picking my internals for that. I do have an arb onboard air setup already installed. I’ve just heard people talk about leaking lines to lockers being a pain?

2012 Sahara

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
Most of my wheeling is more overland for hunting and fishing but we do live in some rough country where it can get pretty good. I was thinking to be able to be locked up for mud and snow mostly. Yeah I still have the stock axle up front but I found a housing from a stock rubi I was thinking could be a good way to go and then picking my internals for that. I do have an arb onboard air setup already installed. I’ve just heard people talk about leaking lines to lockers being a pain?

2012 Sahara

It sounds like lockers are more of a want than a need for you. You may want to spend that few grand elsewhere. However if you do go that route, like mentioned above, leave the front open unless you swap out your 30. Electric or air is your call both have pros and cons. People have had lines break or leak which is mainly due to improper routing. If routed correctly there is no more probability in breaking an air line than there is breaking a wire. At least with electric you don’t have to rely on a compressor for actuation. But personally I run ARB and the twin compressor. I also carry spare air line on the trail just in case.

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
To the second part of your question, you should only lock up when you need it. There is no need to put that additional stress on everything. If you need to, lock the rear...if that don’t cut it, lock the front too. You’d be surprised how little you need to lock 1 axle let alone both.

Great Pumkin

Thanks for the feed back! I’ll leave the front open until I upgrade and probably go arb for the rear since I already have the twin compressor. Any of you guys have experience with lockers in deep snow? That is where I have the most trouble.

2012 Sahara

ADA OZ

Seems there was another thread about this same subject today. Everyone seems to over look the TruTrac. Inexpensive, easy to install, no maintenance or any items additional items needed. While technically a limited slip you get a substantial improvement over open. Sounds like a couple of TruTracs would take you everywhere you would ever want to go.

No I don’t work for Eaton. Just have seen them go all over.

Top Bottom