Intermittent Squeak (Front End, Both Sides)

JamesNZ

Hi All,

Before I try a warranty claim on this issue I thought I'd try get some opinions to what you guys might think the noise is as may have had a similar issue/noise come up on your own Jeep?

The vehicle: 2016 Jeep Wrangler JKU Rubicon
Only Mods: 1.5" Teraflex Leveling Kit, 35" Tyres (on 4.5" Backspace 17x9 rims)
Distance Traveled: 55,000kms
Repairs since new: Front Axle Seals, Airbag Shroud/Dust Covers

So the issue is an intermittent squeak effected by rolling speed which I noticed goes away from either applying the brake and sometimes from turning. I'm lead to think it's either my axles (the u-joints however look fine) or maybe it is the unit bearings - it's odd that both the noise is coming from both sides at the front of the vehicle though, could be that both bearings are buggered.

Here is some recordings I took (listen carefully for the squeak):

Any help is greatly appreciated! ;)

Cheers

James

jeeeep

Hooked
Sounds to me like mud/dirt/debris around the brake rotor.

could be as WJCO indicated or, have you added anything made of Polyurethane? bushings, TF spacers?

Polyurethane gets squeaky in cold weather.

I replaced my track bar bushings with polyurethane bushings, as soon as the temperature cools, they squeak horribly.

I sprayed them with the WD-40 and they quieted down.

JamesNZ

Hi guys, sorry forgot to mention I've pulled the brakes apart and they are spotless, reseated the pads in the retainer clips etc. (They all seemed to be completely intact). I've also tried spraying wd40 on all the factory bushings. Squeak is also amplified by some bumps on occassion and takes about a kilometer of driving from cold before hearing the squeak.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

JamesNZ

Found an unusual clink/tink noise on my left front wheel. It could be the brake pad retainers as someone else has already suggested?

Last edited:

jeeeep

Hooked
Found an unusual clink/tink noise on my left front wheel. It could be the brake pad retainers as someone else has already suggested?

can you feel movement if you wiggle the wheel side to side.

i'm thinking hubs are shot.

pull the wheel and rotate the hub back and forth, if the movement is not smooth or it feels gritty you need to replace the hubs.

Also, if the hub spins too easily it's a sign it's worn out - there should be some resistance.

if you do a search you'll find a bunch of videos on how to check the hubs

Last edited:

kawimoto

yeah this too

I have an issue with part of the clip breaking off and then more squeaks. I can't figure out why I have to replace the damn clips so often

same deal for me. its really a big annoyance. I hate squeaks but it seams theres always some noise being chased

JamesNZ

same deal for me. its really a big annoyance. I hate squeaks but it seams theres always some noise being chased

Sounds like this suggestion is quite common. So this is those little brake pad retainer clips you're both referring to (see image below)? These seem to be the same or similar retaining clips in the front, 4 in total per caliper?

DSC07994.jpg

Thank you, Eddie for this photo! :lol: - Reference: https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/4349-MAINTENANCE-Jeep-JK-Wrangler-Rear-Brake-Pad-Replacement

JamesNZ

So turns out a bit more serious. The service manager at the dealership didn't get in to too much detail with as I don't really think he knew how to explain what was wrong, he told me that there's a problem with the rear diff and involves metal shavings from a part wearing. Apparently I'm okay to carry on driving it around just can't do anything serious. Parts are on order from US, but may take 15 working days to get here. All covered under warranty. I'll update as I find out more.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using WAYALIFE mobile app

JamesNZ

So this process has been an absolute nightmare for me!!

The parts didn't arrive in the country till late January 2018, they booked my Jeep in for repairs on the 9th Feb 2018 (NZ). I dropped the Jeep off and only picked it up yesterday afternoon. They replaced the rear differential case! Then they found play in the left rear wheel bearing so now they've got that on order from the US. I'll be waiting another period of time before they get that fixed. On the bright side it has all been covered under warranty.

..Now I'm driving home and the Jeep definitely doesn't seem as noisy as it was, so I do believe something in the diff case was one of the problems... but the Jeep still squeaks from all directions, it's hard to believe it could just be the one left rear wheel bearing. I have taken some additional recording I can upload shortly.

The next problem I've got is death wobble! Since putting the standard rims and tyre package back on my Jeep from the 35 inch tyres I now get death wobble, it all starts from a bump in the road. The Jeep shakes and wobbles like crazy.. adrenaline rush kicks in as you fight to control it while other vehicles are commuting around you... while having to come to a near complete stop for it to pass. When playing around with the steering I found about 1-2mm of movement in the track bar, is that all it takes?

Thanks readers, sorry probably seems like a bit of a rant..

Top Bottom