longer shock question

desertrunner

So i am still in the middle of my PR44 install and i have been measuring over and over again for bump stop and shock lengths. i currently have 4dr coils plus 3/4" spacers up front netting 1.75" of lift.

when measuring for bump stops on the passenger side to make sure the raised track bar bracket doesnt hit the frame i need to add 2.5" of bump stop which correlates to 18" on shock length. when measuring for droop i can get down to just over 28" before my coil becomes completely unloaded. with those measurements in mind it looks to me like i should be safe to run a set of king shocks made for 3-5" of lift that measure 17-27" full range.

so my question is does it seem unreasonable to run a shock that is advertised for 3-5" of lift when i only have 1.75"???

the biggest piece of the puzzle i am still missing is my front drive shaft. I have not gotten far enough in the install to measure and order my new 1350 drive shaft so that might be the reason i would have to go with a shorter shock that measures 15.5-25". it just seems to me like a waste to buy those if i have to bump stop at 18" anyway and my coils are still seated at 27"

can anyone think of a reason i cant order up a set of shocks that measures out to 17-27"? if im going to drop the money on kings i want to just buy them once.

desertrunner

How long will it be until you can measure for your driveshaft? Since it isn’t your dd maybe you should get that first

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
The new wheel bearings I ordered should be here today so once those are in i can at least put the tires on and then take measurements so maybe you are right just get the drive shaft in and then make the call on shocks. Everything about this install has been a waiting game. Install one part then measure and order and wait again. Just trying to get this thing out of my garage space sooner than later haha.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using WAYALIFE mobile app

desertrunner

Ok so there was a little flaw in my logic. For some reason I was thinking I needed to measure at ride height, full droop and full bump to give them to order the drive shaft. That's why I was trying to buy the shocks first. But talking to Adams they only need a ride height measurement. So I'll just get the tires back on and get the drive shaft ordered and go from there.

JKbrick

Ok so there was a little flaw in my logic. For some reason I was thinking I needed to measure at ride height, full droop and full bump to give them to order the drive shaft. That's why I was trying to buy the shocks first. But talking to Adams they only need a ride height measurement. So I'll just get the tires back on and get the drive shaft ordered and go from there.

That sounds like a good plan since the shocks will be expensive and harder to exchange

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

desertrunner

That sounds like a good plan since the shocks will be expensive and harder to exchange

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app
I know eventually I will have this rig on 3" ish of lift with 37s so I figure if I can get shocks that will work for that set up and my current set up then I'll splurge for some kings if not I was just gonna go ranco 5000s as an intermediate but still get some more length. But either way the wheel bearings showed up today I'll try to get them installed tomorrow and measure for the drive shaft then see if I can still get away with 27" on the droop. On the up travel side of things I don't see any issue with 17" compressed when you consider I have to run enough bump stop to clear the track bar bracket anyway at 18"

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Only issue would be full droop with the shorter springs. So long as they don't unseat, and your running enough bump to not bottom out the shock, you should be fine.

sent from SPACE!
DZZ Build thread

desertrunner

Only issue would be full droop with the shorter springs. So long as they don't unseat, and your running enough bump to not bottom out the shock, you should be fine.

sent from SPACE!
DZZ Build thread
At 27" my coils are plenty seated. So really I think the question is going to be do I get the king 2.0 or 2.5. How fast is fast enough to need reservoirs? Haha

desertrunner

Ok new question, reading another thread on here made this pop into my head.

Sitting on 2" of lift running a shock made for 3-5" lift I can get full droop without un seating the cooks and because of my PR44 i have to have enough bump stop to clear the track bar bracket before I would get to fully compressed anyway, BUT at ride height the shocks are going to obviously be more compressed than a shorter spring.

So if I ride height I am sitting 5" away from fully compressed vs sitting at 3.5" away from fully compressed, is that going to make my jeep ride like crap?

Essentially I'm looking at the 3.5" of up travel and 7" of down travel
Vs 5" of up and 5" of down. Both will fit my set up I just don't want it to ride like crap because I'm always riding on the shock 75% compressed

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
Ok new question, reading another thread on here made this pop into my head.

Sitting on 2" of lift running a shock made for 3-5" lift I can get full droop without un seating the cooks and because of my PR44 i have to have enough bump stop to clear the track bar bracket before I would get to fully compressed anyway, BUT at ride height the shocks are going to obviously be more compressed than a shorter spring.

So if I ride height I am sitting 5" away from fully compressed vs sitting at 3.5" away from fully compressed, is that going to make my jeep ride like crap?

Essentially I'm looking at the 3.5" of up travel and 7" of down travel
Vs 5" of up and 5" of down. Both will fit my set up I just don't want it to ride like crap because I'm always riding on the shock 75% compressed

Unless they’re bypass shocks ride height won’t affect shock performance. I’m running 4” shocks with 2” coils because when I measured I had similar numbers to you and it’s been working fine for 2 years now.

desertrunner

Unless they’re bypass shocks ride height won’t affect shock performance. I’m running 4” shocks with 2” coils because when I measured I had similar numbers to you and it’s been working fine for 2 years now.

My guess was that you get the same amount of dampening force out of the shock no matter where in the stroke you are (ie doesn't get stiffer as you compress it more) so it shouldn't matter where in the stroke of the shock you sit at ride height you get the same ride quality. I just wasn't sure figured I'd ask thanks!

Does that change with a bypass shock?

desertrunner

Still curious on this question. How would ride height affect a bypass shocks performance vs a non bypass?

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
Still curious on this question. How would ride height affect a bypass shocks performance vs a non bypass?

Sorry mate didn’t see your question before.

Bypass shocks have ports at different points in the travel allowing some of the fluid to bypass the ports in the piston effectively changing the valving as the piston moves through its stroke.

Because of this the full shock travel is broken up into a number of zones and the damping changes as you move through each zone, so you need to be in the right zone at ride height to get the most out of the shock.

This allows you to have damping tuned around ride height for bombing across the desert while having more damping approaching full bump to better soak up big hits.

Last edited:

desertrunner

Sorry mate didn’t see your question before.

Bypass shocks have ports at different points in the travel allowing some of the fluid to bypass the ports in the piston effectively changing the valving as the piston moves through its stroke.

Because of this the full shock travel is broken up into a number of zones and the damping changes as you move through each zone, so you need to be in the right zone at ride height to get the most out of the shock.

This allows you to have damping tuned around ride height for bombing across the desert while having more damping approaching full bump to better soak up big hits.

Awesome thanks for the info I can definitely see then if your riding at ride height in a different dampen section that it might not be as soft as it could be. I'm still on the fence on what shocks I want to go with but being that I'm not on my final stage of building up to 37s yet I might be able to sacrifice a little bit of ride quality for now to buy the 3-5" king 2.5s that will work for me now and when I go another 1" higher to clear 37s later.
Thanks!

Top Bottom