RealDash Gauges

JMDesign83

Okay, so not to bury the lead here, but a bit of context... I am in the planning phase of an LS1 swap into my 98 Cherokee, and have come across a bit of an opportunity to have some digital fun with it. The factory gauges in the Cherokee aren't compatible with the ecm for the LS1. Therefore, either an aftermarket option is needed (which there are options for that), or running the original Jeep pcm in tandem in order to run the factory gauges.

Which leads me to my somewhat crazy, and probably in over my head, techy solution. Using the RealDash app on a dedicated screen built into the dash. I've already sent Napko (the company who makes the app) an email with questions regarding dedicated app hardware solutions that could be used. Anywhere from a standard android phone or tablet (not the most user friendly option), to using a raspberry pi, or Arduino, or even a Windows 'Internet of Things' build running the app with supporting programming to implement the framework needed for a dedicated solution.

An example of what the gauges look like:
Screenshot_20171124-013611.png

In short, the app uses OBD Bluetooth to display virtually any information the ecm produces. From fuel/air ratios, real time MAF readings, and of course speed, rpms, gear etc. But it can also incorporate topographical maps, inclinometers, media players, etc. The issue is figuring out the most practical device to run the app on. It's compatible with Android, Apple, and Windows, but not Linux... Which complicates things a bit.

Nevertheless, long story short, I'm curious if there's any other interest out there for this sort of setup. Mainly interested in ideas. Things that could be useful to include. There's a few inputs I asked Napko to include in the next update, such as access to the tilt output from the device (ie. Android), to 4 wheel drive selection from the ecm/PCM for 4wd selection indicators in the gauges. (the app currently only displays trans gear selections). But besides the handful of inputs that would be useful, the gauges are mostly buildable from scratch (which I've found is much easier to do on a laptop than trying to edit gauges on a phone) Regardless, the options are virtually limitless. And not limited to just in dash gauges. It can be used to add displays in other areas of the cockpit as well. Dedicated topographical maps, incinometers, custom jeep themed media controls, even to control the in dash stereo as well, and so on.

Also, I have a 3dMonstr 3d printer and a laser scanner, so I'll be making scans of interior components in order to design and print molds for building new dash and console components with openings for screens as well as switch panels for my lights and accessories.

Feel free to be creative. Anything that could be useful or just cool to see done, feel free to post it. Even things that'd be unrelated to the dash app, such as using a Raspberry Pi and a touch screen to control exterior lights, locks, windows, etc. Screens can be purchased in any size,and usually are only connected by a wire to the device or computer running them. Example below:
Innolux-7-inch-lcd-screen-replacement-lcd.jpeg

It's also 1:46am... So I could just be sleep deprived and way too bored lol

Sent from my SM-G935P using WAYALIFE mobile app

GraniteCrystal

Seems like it could be cool. I'd be little hesitant to put that much tech into such an old beast. Or at least upgrade your alarm system on it. I know it's just a mock up, but I'd also put the navigation on a much larger screen than shown. Could be a really cool idea, but my gut says it's going to be more work than you think and you won't want to hold up your LS swap over it.

JMDesign83

Well, in terms of work involved, this is what I do lol I'm a designer in the oil/gas industry and often write scripts and applets for facilities. So it really isn't a matter of difficulty, I actually enjoy this kind of stuff. The main issue is practically while driving. Which comes down to hardware selection, which will prove to be a but tricky. The gauges need to be seemless so that they function just as easily and reliably as traditional gauges. Most higher end cars use the same type of setup, but they have programmers building the software to match their hardware, and I'm trying to go the other direction with software that's already written. So there's some limitations that I have to be able to mitigate to make it work as intended.

And yes, a dedicated GPS will be necessary. The little map in that one is more just a visual, but the turn arrows and current speed limit display on top of the map which is helpful to have in front of you. The main gps needs to have a topographical map as well though. I live in WV, so plenty of mountains to explore lol

Also, it may be an old beast, but of all the jeeps I've owned, the late model Cherokee's are by far the best of the best for off roading... (queue the wrangler cherokee debate that I inevitably just kicked off lol) So I'm happy to update its electronics a bit so it's a more comfortable daily driver. If for nothing else, because Jeep!

Sent from my SM-G935P using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom