Regear install questions

srbell0585

So I'm getting ready to regear the jeep next weekend and trying to get all my specs and info before hand. As far as crushing the crush sleeve I was planning on using my IR 3/4" impact with my CO2 tank at 150psi. Has anyone used an impact to crush the crush sleeve? I know it takes a crazy amount of torque. Also, does anyone have specs for torque, backlash and pinion preload. I have found them but the numbers I'm finding vary depending on the source.

Sent from my SM-N910T using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
You can use an impact to start the nut but for final torque, you need to measure turning resistance with an analog inch pound torque wrench. You should already have specs handy if you're doing this yourself. In the past when I've done regears, I have reused the old crush sleeve during initial setup, then when everything was setup right, I took it all apart and used a new sleeve and set it up again and then double checked everything.

IIrc, the D44 and JK D44 are two different setups all together.

WJCO

Meme King
Ok thanks, just wanted to make sure an impact would be able to start crushing the crush sleeve.

Sent from my SM-N910T using WAYALIFE mobile app

An impact will crush the sleeve as much as you want. The issue is that once you get to the proper torque, you can easily overcrush it, at that point, it's too late and you can't go back. It will require a new crush sleeve if you over crush it. That's why I did my setups with an old crush sleeve to save money when I did the initial setup measurements.

Top Bottom