Wet front breather tube after regear

I have a question for you all... i have a 2012 JKU with 2010 Rubicon axles with factory e-lockers. I am running 37's now and had it regeared to 5:13 a few months ago by a local shop that builds jeeps and trucks.

The week after the regear i noticed spots on my driveway... smells like gear oil. So i began investigating the source. Diff and cover are dry... traced it to the breather tube. The tube is wet like it was misted or weaping. So that creates just enough to drip soo slowly that there is just a spot or two on the driveway. Enough to get concerned especially since who wants a spotty driveway.

Took it back to the shop and they said they lowered the diff fluid level a bit and took off the breather tube to blow it out so its not clogged... that was about a month and half ago. Its my daily driver and i've been to Moab and back. So i have put miles on her since the regear with no issues or weird sounds.

Yesterday i noticed a new spot on my driveway... traced it to the same breather tube with the same situation. The tube is wet... wiped it all clean and no new drips so far.

The top of the breather tube has what appears to be a small white one way valve stuck into the opening... assuming that is normal.

I'm hesitant to take it back to the shop because they said they did all they knew how to fix the issue. The axle never leaked prior to the regear.

Is there any way they used the wrong parts since the jeep is a 2012 but axles are 2010. Sorry i'm not that mechanically inclined so i dont know if there is a difference in D44 axles by year.

Is this normal for the breather tube to get wet like it burped? Is there anything that would cause this issue? Any solutions that you have used to keep the tube dry?

Thanks for any suggestions or feedback.

WJCO

Meme King
Original issue was likely indeed the overfilled fluid. I would check it again yourself to see where it's actually at. It's easy but make sure Jeep is parked on a level surface. The white valve is normal. Our Jeep did it after installing an aftermarket cover. Even though I'm 100% sure the fluid level is good, one time on a road trip it randomly did it again, not sure why. Again, I checked the fluid and it's perfect. The fluid level should be right at the bottom of the axle tubes, most aftermarket covers currently have the fill plug in that exact location.

jorgelrod

Hooked
As WJCO stated, it might just be that even though the lowered the level a bit, heat buildup from a long trip might make it expand enough to fill the line.

In early July, I changed my diff covers & cleaned the gears while the covers were off. I added the fluid as instructed. I felt I could have added a touch too much in the front. I ran them for several miles without issue, but when I went on a long road trip in late August fluid escaped the breather tube and went all along the frame and control arm, and spotted up the rear of the Jeep (which is how I noticed it at a food break). I had been in stop-and-go traffic in the August heat minutes prior. I never noticed it leaking again; so, I chalked it up to either a little too much fluid or heat expansion (as mentioned above).

I didn't remove the hose and clean the inside of it. Is that necessary? I just washed the fluid off the Jeep and called it good.

Top Bottom