Jack stands on all four corners

GraniteWilly

Hi All,

I’ve got a new set of STT Pros coming this week to compliment the new lift. That said, my plan is to use 3 ton jack stands on the axle tubes to hold it up while I take the wheels and tires to Discount for mount/balancing.

The reason for this is because I run Spidertrax and I’m a little leery of having Discount fully install them, potentially taking an impact gun to my spacers and lug nuts.

So my questions are these:

1. Are there any problems with leaving the Jeep on stands for an hour or two while I take the wheels in?

2. Is my fear about over-torque and broken loctite irrational/should I just drive in and have them installed?

Thanks for any advice you send my way,

-GW

J

JKDream

Hi All,

I’ve got a new set of STT Pros coming this week to compliment the new lift. That said, my plan is to use 3 ton jack stands on the axle tubes to hold it up while I take the wheels and tires to Discount for mount/balancing.

The reason for this is because I run Spidertrax and I’m a little leery of having Discount fully install them, potentially taking an impact gun to my spacers and lug nuts.

So my questions are these:

1. Are there any problems with leaving the Jeep on stands for an hour or two while I take the wheels in?

2. Is my fear about over-torque and broken loctite irrational/should I just drive in and have them installed?

Thanks for any advice you send my way,

-GW

1. No, you can leave your Jeep on jackstands for months without issues.

2. A bit over the top, if they broke a stud they would have to fix it. You could just bring it home and re-torque them.

GraniteWilly

1. No, you can leave your Jeep on jackstands for months without issues.

2. A bit over the top, if they broke a stud they would have to fix it. You could just bring it home and re-torque them.

Thanks for the fast reply!

On the second part there, my concern is more about breaking the red loctite on my spacers which would require me to go through and reinstall them again. It would be more of an inconvenience than anything.

Like you said, I’m sure it’s a bit over the top! Haha

J

JKDream

Thanks for the fast reply!

On the second part there, my concern is more about breaking the red loctite on my spacers which would require me to go through and reinstall them again. It would be more of an inconvenience than anything.

Like you said, I’m sure it’s a bit over the top! Haha
I don't see why they'd touch the spacers though. You don't need to remove them to work on the tires. You could always just tell the shop guy not to torque those.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using WAYALIFE mobile app

jeeeep

Hooked
they just check the torque on the spacer when I go to DT, never had an issue with spacer working loose - you should check them once in awhile anyway.

do you have paint witness marks on the spacer lug nuts?

When you show up tell them you have spacers and no need to check them, they'll leave them alone.

Also, the I've noticed they now use an impact torque extension at my local DT then follow up with a torque wrench.

So I personally go to discount and I also have spidertrax spacers. Now I haven’t had any issues and they’ve always done a good job for me, but I did see recently Granitecrystal had some issues at his local discount.. I would say, be safe than sorry and just check when you get home after they do it

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

GraniteWilly

they just check the torque on the spacer when I go to DT, never had an issue with spacer working loose - you should check them once in awhile anyway.

do you have paint witness marks on the spacer lug nuts?

When you show up tell them you have spacers and no need to check them, they'll leave them alone.

Also, the I've noticed they now use an impact torque extension at my local DT then follow up with a torque wrench.

That’s good to hear, I’ll give them a call and see what they think about spacers at my local store.

I don’t use witness lines but I check torque at 80 ft lbs (less than the spec of 90) whenever I rotate my tires. Haven’t had an issue yet.

GraniteWilly

So I personally go to discount and I also have spidertrax spacers. Now I haven’t had any issues and they’ve always done a good job for me, but I did see recently Granitecrystal had some issues at his local discount.. I would say, be safe than sorry and just check when you get home after they do it

Yeah I read that thread as well, that was too bad.

To wrap up this particular thread, I just called my local store an hour ago and they said they don’t mess with spacers (even the hub centric Spidertrax units that I’m running).

I’m sure that was probably more of a misunderstanding than anything, but enough to make me just bring in the wheels and install myself.

No big deal, I’ll be installing brake line relocations, exhaust spacers and some new Fox Shocks at the same time so it’s an early Christmas whichever way I go!

srbell0585

Yeah I read that thread as well, that was too bad.

To wrap up this particular thread, I just called my local store an hour ago and they said they don’t mess with spacers (even the hub centric Spidertrax units that I’m running).

I’m sure that was probably more of a misunderstanding than anything, but enough to make me just bring in the wheels and install myself.

No big deal, I’ll be installing brake line relocations, exhaust spacers and some new Fox Shocks at the same time so it’s an early Christmas whichever way I go!
My local America's tire wouldn't touch anything with wheel spacers as well.

Sent from my SM-N910T using WAYALIFE mobile app

Learned a long time ago not to trust work done by someone not earning a livable wage. Either double check the work or do it yourself. Jeeps are (normally) fun to play with so I vote do it yourself. Make sure it’s on solid level ground with all 4 off

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
Learned a long time ago not to trust work done by someone not earning a livable wage.

I agree that you should check other people’s work. I don’t believe what you said about a livable wage.

I’ve made everything from $4.00 per hour, up to what I make now, and I worked hard and tried to do good work, at every wage.

A lazy, sloppy worker, will do bad work, if you paid him $500 per hour.

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
I just took my Jeep to discount tire for rotation and balancing. I have spidertrax too, just let them know ahead of time that you have ‘huh extenders or wheel adapters’ and they are bolted up to your hubs ahead of time. Tell them not to touch them, also tell them to fill up your tires to what you want otherwise they’ll fill it up to 37psi per factory spec.
They do use torque wrench for final torque now as mentioned. But the first thing I do when I get home I break all the wheels loose and torque then down myself anyway.

Top Bottom