Rust on my PR44, maintenance question

jorgelrod

Hooked
I'm not sure if this is a combination of all the mud Ive had this axle go through and the fact that it just recently traveled on a crowley barge from Puerto Rico to Florida on my recent move, but I just noticed the rust buildup. Question is do I just rustoleum over it or should I take wire brush or something to it before? On other surfaces like the skids I just paint over it, but after what I spent on the axle, I rather ask now I tend of regretting it later.

Attachments

• 4EBE540E-E849-447F-85FA-8CC0714FBBF1.jpg
    4EBE540E-E849-447F-85FA-8CC0714FBBF1.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 163

WJCO

Meme King
It's going to happen to any axle, especially near salt or moisture. Definitely wire brush it before painting. Also when you're done painting, go over it with some clear coat or fluid film. It will keep it looking better for longer.

When I installed my axle, I clear-coated everything, as this was a tip from Rancho. One of my first test drives through snow and mud had the axle looking nasty:

DSC04659.jpg

Then after washing off with just a pressure washer, it looks pretty again (see pic below). If you look closely at the tube on the right side of picture, you can already see some rust forming on the bottom of tube. It's going to happen.

IMG_20170121_120558_539.jpg

jeeeep

Hooked
Do as WJCO suggests but use Rustoleum Rust Reformer as your base, spray your coils as well.

I sprayed my coils with the Reformer then a semi flat and top coat I had laying around (figured it couldn't hurt ) they've held up great.

I also need to spray my PR44 and rear axle

If you want it to actually be protected don’t use a crappy rattle can go buy actual automotive grade paint and have them put in an aerosol can. It’s really not that much and is a way better adhesion and longevity. And yes prep the surface brush it and clean it off before paint

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

JDDK

used motor oil does the trick. Just rub it all over everthing. Thats why there are holes in the frame. just pour it in...😂

Top Bottom