Tires and gears

TexasJC

I'm finally close to getting the money for my lift and tires, and am debating between 35's or 37's. I've seen a lot of talk about re-gearing, and didn't know if I would need to with both sizes, or just the 37's ( or at all?). I have a '09 JKU rubi. I need it to be a dual purpose jeep. Get me around during the week, and to and from the trails on the weekend. All opinions are greatly appreciated

I'm finally close to getting the money for my lift and tires, and am debating between 35's or 37's. I've seen a lot of talk about re-gearing, and didn't know if I would need to with both sizes, or just the 37's ( or at all?). I have a '09 JKU rubi. I need it to be a dual purpose jeep. Get me around during the week, and to and from the trails on the weekend. All opinions are greatly appreciated

I've got 35's sitting in the garage right now... I will let you know how it feels with the 4.10's once they're on in a week or two. I want to regear, but down the road. A friend of mine has 35's on a JKUR with 4.10's, he compains about power loss, but said overall it's not unbearable.

matt1171

I'm running 35's with 3.73s and a Superchip Flashpac. The superchip really helped and I don't have any problems. I would say it drives about the same around town and off-road. It does jump out of overdrive more on the interstate but I still get 17mpg on the highway.

4x4Jesus

Caught the Bug
I drive my 2010 JKUR on 35s with 4:10s for a year and then regeared it wasn't terrible but I definitely would notice it on mountain roads and long grades. The tranny never seemed to be able to find a gear that was good constantly up shifting and downshifting. I'm now running 5:13s and am very happy with the results can easily hold 75 up any grade. Getting some fuel economy back was also a plus on top of the power gain.

gtony12

Caught the Bug
Can anyone off hand telling what's the biggest tire I can go with stock suspension. And gears 3.21. I am going to trim my fenders and add 1.5" spacers

Sent from my EVO using WAYALIFE mobile app

Tackerdown

Banned
Can anyone off hand telling what's the biggest tire I can go with stock suspension. And gears 3.21. I am going to trim my fenders and add 1.5" spacers

as for the spacers you can go 35's gearing is subject for discussion.

RockyJk

I've got 35's sitting in the garage right now... I will let you know how it feels with the 4.10's once they're on in a week or two. I want to regear, but down the road. A friend of mine has 35's on a JKUR with 4.10's, he compains about power loss, but said overall it's not unbearable.

It's not too bad i have 4.10s on 35s the superchips helped out too :thumbup:

Jeeper_2010

I've been running 35"s on 4.10s for about a year. Things are relatively flat around here and at sea level. I haven't really noticed a difference until I get in the mountains. I spent more time in second gear than I would have liked.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

FrankenJeeper

I'm running my 35's with the factory 3.73's and its not too awful bad. Flat ground, I can't tell much difference. It's when I get into the hills is when I notice it more.

2010 JKU Sport
1977 CJ5

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

hebbron08

I have 3.21 and 265 and I feel them going up hill but I have a manual and I think if I would have went with 33" I would have to do a lot more down shifting

hebbron08

It also depends on the backspacing on the rim you plan to run because I have 4" backspacing with 1.5 wheel spacer on 265 at full flex I get pretty close to rubbing my fenders and that's because they are cut to flat fenders

flotto

I have a stock suspension 2012 JKU and I'm running Duratracs 315s. I haven't trimmed my fenders yet and I haven't rubbed at all. I'm adding a lift before off reading though.

Rascal3

I have 35's and just recently changed to 5:13's and the power difference was extremely noticeable.

MeatHead

I have 35's and just recently changed to 5:13's and the power difference was extremely noticeable.

Agreed! I run 35s and put 5.13 gears in... World of a difference. No more in and out of over drive on the e-way and much more torque and power thru the entire power band.

Philip *AZ*

Banned
What would be better, 4:88's or 5:13's? Im runnin 35's, but I live in AZ. Kinda flat around here, I dont do a whole lot of traveling. 5:13's would be best for more on road travel as opposed to 4:88's?

Paratroopers stay up longer!

Atch

What would be better, 4:88's or 5:13's? Im runnin 35's, but I live in AZ. Kinda flat around here, I dont do a whole lot of traveling. 5:13's would be best for more on road travel as opposed to 4:88's?

Any plans to go larger than 35's? If so then I'd for sure go with 5.13's otherwise it's kinda subjective

Philip *AZ*

Banned
Yeah, Im up in the air about it though.. I had 37's on my GMC and loved the tire size, but I just dont think I will need 37's. I also ran 5:13's in my GMC. Made a huge difference getting those tires rolling, thats for sure. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1362320685.170512.jpg
Went from that
To this
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1362320746.752729.jpg

Charlie Mike

Ran 35" tires with 4:10s for about a year and they were fine. Definitely noticed a little loss of power but it wasn't horrible. Recently regear'd to 5:13s, but I probably could've ran 4:10s for a few more years and I wouldn't mind it.
(I have a manual transmission btw)

Top Bottom