TIPM issues, again

Sahara_Maverick

Hi All,

So, my JKU has TIPM issues again, after having it replaced just a few months ago by a new one and around $1000 less in my wallet.

The wipers' creeping by themselves are back and now it seems worse because just by turning them on when things are working fine can kill the engine.

Luckily that was in the parking lot. It was raining, I got in, turned engine on, turned wipers on, engine died. Only came back after the usual battery disconnect reboot.

The issue also shows up even when the wipers are not on. They start creeping slowly and I kill the engine if I turn the control knob on. Sometimes takes several "reboots" before the engine works again.

I'm on my last straw and really appreciate your help and hints. Cannot live with a vehicle behaving so unreliably.

Thanks!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

jeeeep

Hooked
Hi All,

So, my JKU has TIPM issues again, after having it replaced just a few months ago by a new one and around $1000 less in my wallet.

The wipers' creeping by themselves are back and now it seems worse because just by turning them on when things are working fine can kill the engine.

Luckily that was in the parking lot. It was raining, I got in, turned engine on, turned wipers on, engine died. Only came back after the usual battery disconnect reboot.

The issue also shows up even when the wipers are not on. They start creeping slowly and I kill the engine if I turn the control knob on. Sometimes takes several "reboots" before the engine works again.

I'm on my last straw and really appreciate your help and hints. Cannot live with a vehicle behaving so unreliably.

Thanks!

where did you get the TIPM from?

Sahara_Maverick

Was it a used one or new? Few months should be within anyone’s warranty period.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Yes. Plenty warranty, which is 2 years. The shop will run another full diagnostic and did not debate it.

However, that's not the point. I cannot use the wipers because it can kill the engine anytime. Imagine driving in Seattle during Winter without being able to turn the wipers on because your engine can die anytime.

Furthermore, the stuff can start at anytime, which forces me to stop and reboot the Jeep sometimes several times.

This is not a way to have a vehicle. It's not acceptable, warranty or not.

Sahara_Maverick

I don’t understand your point... don’t keep driving it, get it fixed, it’s under warranty. Dealerships have loaner cars and pickup / drop off services.

The dealership did not fix it. It said it "might" be the TIPM but did not fix it.

I took it to a shop specialized in electrical issues and they confirmed the TIPM had issues. Ordered a new one from Chrysler and replaced it. Everything was fine for about 5 months (replaced last June). Then all the symptoms came back. Now worse because having the wipers on can kill the engine.

And my Jeep is my daily driver.

Sahara_Maverick

could also be the clockspring or wiper control module.

Clockspring is under recall

Dealership already replaced it. They also checked the TIPM at that time and said it "wasn't conclusive". Imagine a Jeep which engine gets killed anytime the wipers go off by themselves and we turn the knob on and off and "it not conclusive" and they do nothing.

The issue about dealerships refusing to acknowledge it is likely because of several lawsuits Chrysler has been facing about the TIPM.

Sahara_Maverick

Probably the big issue is that it's random.

It started again early this week and the next day it happened several times and in some of them I had to reboot multiple times.

However, nothing happened yesterday and today it has been fine so far on my drive to work.

So your issue isn’t that you don’t know what the problem is your issue is that you can’t get it warrantied even though you said the “shop will not debate it?”

I really don’t understand what you’re trying to say here. Either a part is broken under warranty and gets replaced. Or now they’re giving you shit about warrantying it and not doing it, which if so you need to start talking to people higher up and get it taken care of.

jeeeep

Hooked
The dealership did not fix it. It said it "might" be the TIPM but did not fix it.

I took it to a shop specialized in electrical issues and they confirmed the TIPM had issues. Ordered a new one from Chrysler and replaced it. Everything was fine for about 5 months (replaced last June). Then all the symptoms came back. Now worse because having the wipers on can kill the engine.

And my Jeep is my daily driver.

what I don't get is why you wouldn't pay the dealership to fix it but you paid $1k to some electrical shop :thinking:

you should've paid the dealer to fix it instead of taking it to some electronic shop to get it done.

by taking it to a non-dealer, you just screwed yourself out of getting more diagnostics completed under the warranty and possibly getting a loaner car while they figure it out.

call Enterprise Rent-a-car, they'll pick you up at the shop when you drop it off

Sahara_Maverick

what I don't get is why you wouldn't pay the dealership to fix it but you paid $1k to some electrical shop :thinking:

you should've paid the dealer to fix it instead of taking it to some electronic shop to get it done.

by taking it to a non-dealer, you just screwed yourself out of getting more diagnostics completed under the warranty and possibly getting a loaner car while they figure it out.

call Enterprise Rent-a-car, they'll pick you up at the shop when you drop it off

Like I said before, the dealer looked at it. They had my Jeep there for the whole day because of the clock spring recall and said there was nothing conclusive and decided to not do anything.

They also said they had never heard of this issue (wipers going nutd), obviously lying. This stuff is all over the Internet so I'm sure the Chrysler dealers know about it. Chrysler dealers are crappy anyways.

So, since I could not keep driving a car that unreliable I took it to a shop recommended by a friend. They agreed the TIPM was toasted and ordered a new one from Chrysler.

So, they are honoring the warranty and will take the Jeep back next week.

In the meantime I am asking for other folks who also had this problem for hints of what we can look for. The TIPM is an unreliable and crappy design and Chrysler does nothing about it.

Of course, since we want our Jeeps to be reliable we spend tons of money and time fixing and upgrading them. It's part of being a Jeep owner. It does not mean we need to be happy about this. It's the negative side of owning a Jeep and I am very pissed about it.

Sahara_Maverick

Then get a lawyer and work on a class action suit, petitions already been denied at least once for the wrangler platform. http://www.chryslerproblems.com/trends/tipm/

Not sure what else there is to look for? You have a broken part, Replace it under warranty. Find a better dealership for the future.

Is there something like a good Chrysler dealership?

If I wanted a lawyer I'd go to a legal board.

I want to get this thing fixed reliably, hence I'm asking in a Jeep board for other owners' experiences and how they fixed them.

Folks, seriously, I need help with this thing. The shop will take another look at my Jeep but because of the nature of this beast I am looking for all help and advice. Trying everything to keep my Jeep.

Thanks.

Sahara_Maverick

Take it to the shop that replaced it and ask them to warranty their work. If they won't; do the research and replace it yourself or find a good dealer and start over.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

The shop is warranting it. They will take it back and review it once more. That's not the point.

The point is identifying and fixing this issue once and for all.

Anyways... I already started checking other vehicles. Will not stay with something so unreliable that breaks again the same way immediately after fixed. Well, I guess it's possible since it's design flaw that has been well pointed out. Just that Chrysler will not do anything about it. I'll most likely will move to a different brand.

Cheers!

Top Bottom