2012/13 JKUR Purchase Advice and a few other budget related Q's...

sm31

I apologize in advance because I'm sure these questions have been asked a hundred times in some form or other but (like me) the other members probably felt the need for a little virtual hand holding before making a big investment.

I am the quintessential "late adopter" but I have finally decided to part with my beloved TJ and move to a JKU(R?). In doing research on this forum I read several posts pertaining to the possibility that the 2012 and 2013 year models are less desirable due to drivetrain issues that were resolved for 2014+.

Dilemmas:
1) My budget for the foreseeable future is not likely to increase much.
2) 2012 and 2013 JKUR's account for the majority of used JKUR's in my price range (~$30k). But I would certainly consider a well set-up 2011 with a re-gear.

Questions:
1) Do I really want a Rubicon? My TJ has ARB lockers front and rear, and I have used them on occasion. I'm now located in AK where I am likely to do a lot more snow-wheeling than in the past. I have run some of the same trails featured in the JKX Alaska episode... I can (and have...) install most sorts of bolt-ons myself, and I have replaced axles, lifts, etc. But re-gearing and welding are beyond me. I have no plans to go beyond 35" tires, and the 3" EVO Enforcer looks like it would be perfect for my uses. Also, (with a few exceptions... like EVO) parts are pretty expensive to come by here in AK due to shipping costs. Wheels and tires are particularly painful. So my focus on a Rubicon is due to the idea that some bolt on parts will get me where I want to be, then done (dunno if that's the right idea tho). But I really want to take the most cost effective route to reach my goals... whichever that is.

2) Are 2012's and 2013's really that bad? Since I am buying used, these models have had 4 or 5 years to work out the kinks. The ones I have looked at have around 70k miles on them. Could they be considered "more OK" after surviving this long?

3) Do Jeep Wrangler prices tend to fluctuate seasonally? I plan to be very patient in my search, so I may not find the right vehicle before spring time.

4) Am I asking the wrong questions? Since I am new to the JK world, I only have a general idea of them... like the 3.6 vs. the 3.8, etc. Are there less obvious factors or features that I really need to watch out for?

Thank you so much for reading!!!

J

JKDream

My 2013 has been the most reliable vehicle I have owned to date (out of fourteen vehicles). The issue you are referring to is the head design, which had an extended warranty against it btw, and mostly affected 2012s not 2013s.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Rancho

Caught the Bug
You do not want a 2011, the 3.8 is anemic.
I have a 2013 since new, new real issues either.
I don't have a lot of miles on int (25K or so) but those miles have been a ton of travel and a good chunk of trails.
Good luck!
:beer:

Arrcherr

Caught the Bug
I had a 2012 that I traded in recently, had 90k ish miles on it. I had a fuel pump go in the first 1k miles and a couple minor evap issues a little later. It preformed flawlessly other than those two issues.

sm31

Thank you for the clarification on the 2012's and 2013's!

It looks like I'm seeing about a $6k - $7k premium on Rubicon's compared to similarly appointed Sports. With it in mind that I won't go beyond 35" tires (wife is too short... lol) but will see significant trail use, can I come in ahead with the Sport? I am interested in lockers for snow wheeling, and that is a job I'll have to pay someone to do. Is the front axle capable enough to leave alone with 35's? I hate loaded questions like this but these are the concerns knocking around in my head right now... :banghead:

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug
Thank you for the clarification on the 2012's and 2013's!

It looks like I'm seeing about a $6k - $7k premium on Rubicon's compared to similarly appointed Sports. With it in mind that I won't go beyond 35" tires (wife is too short... lol) but will see significant trail use, can I come in ahead with the Sport? I am interested in lockers for snow wheeling, and that is a job I'll have to pay someone to do. Is the front axle capable enough to leave alone with 35's? I hate loaded questions like this but these are the concerns knocking around in my head right now... :banghead:

If you want lockers you should really consider the Rubicon. The Rubicon comes with front and rear Dana 44's with lockers, and it also probably has 4:10 gearing (which is better than 3:73 or possibly 3:21 in the sport). The front axle on the Sahara and Sport is a Dana 30, you definitely don't want to throw a locker in there. If I could do it all over again, I would have bought a Rubicon

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

sm31

If you want lockers you should really consider the Rubicon.

If I go the Rubicon route then I don't anticipate an axle swap in the near future (or probably at all). Even with swapped axle shafts, I'm not very confident in the D30 on 35's locked. That's what keeps me coming back to the Rubicon... axles & lockers. I go several trips at a time without flipping the locker switch but I have sure gotten used to having them if I want them. Gearing is another bonus I had not thought of. Thanks!

Edit: This thread is definitely helping me firm up the decision to go Rubicon, and I'm more confident looking at 12's and 13's now too...

J

JKDream

If I go the Rubicon route then I don't anticipate an axle swap in the near future (or probably at all). Even with swapped axle shafts, I'm not very confident in the D30 on 35's locked. That's what keeps me coming back to the Rubicon... axles & lockers. I go several trips at a time without flipping the locker switch but I have sure gotten used to having them if I want them. Gearing is another bonus I had not thought of. Thanks!

Edit: This thread is definitely helping me firm up the decision to go Rubicon, and I'm more confident looking at 12's and 13's now too...

Keep in mind the front axles are very prone to bending.
If it's really lockers alone you are after I would personally do the a sport/sahara and add the trailleader package.
You then have a stronger setup all together, 35spl front and rear with ARBs.
That's what I did and am very happy with the setup.

Top Bottom