Waytek "DIY SPOD" accessory fuse/relay box for sale

el_chupo_

Hello all -

I bought the stuff to make 3 "DIY Spods", a la Pvanwheelden's write up here on the forum. I have a couple of friends and family members with Jeeps who I thought would want them as Christmas gifts, but after asking them none of them thought they would be using enough lights/accessories to make the install worth doing.

So I have just finished up the second (First is mine), and am about 90% of the way through the third, just the final plug for the switch lines to finish up, and I was going to post them in the classifieds.

This is not a business or side gig, I have no intentions of making any more or buying parts to make more - no spare parts laying around or anything.

This was designed with an A-Pillar switch panel in mind, but you can extend wires on the switch side easily to mount this wherever you wish.
This does not include instructions. This is color coded to be as easy as possible to install, but you need to be a bit careful to ensure it is set up how you want.

This was assembled with the correct wires for the use. All ends are crimped using the appropriate tool (not a hammer and screwdriver, or generic wire crimpers, but those designed for these connectors) There are plugs in the unused holes.

These are the Cooper-Bussman 10 circuit fuse/relay panels that feature 5 relays, 10 fuse slots. (cover not shown but included)
They are wired for fuse circuits 1-5 to go to the relays, 1-5.
There are ~3 ft of 14ga wire outputs for your accessories (5 wires)
There are ~5 ft of 16ga wire switch input wires (5 wires
There is 1 ~5ft wire (18ga) to run power to the switches. The wire is bundled with the switch wires, and designed to be used with the included plug. It includes the end for fuse slot 6 on the fuse box, or you can do a fuse-tap from a switched source to connect to this wire (cut off the plug) and your switches would only work when the key is on.
There is ~2 ft 16ga wire for the switch end. This will be wired to your switches (connects to the ~5ft harness plug) so you can easily disconnect a switch panel from the wires coming in through the firewall if needed.
Note that the ~2 ft harness has the plug installed, the 5ft harness includes the plug, the wires already have the end crimped on, all you need to do is run thrm through the firewall, and plug the wires into the harness. This is done this way to make routing the wires through the firewall easier (tape them up and tape them to a wire hanger or other tool).
This will include 5 relays, and an assortment of fuses. Probably 12 or so in various sizes, with 3 30 amp and 3 20 amp for bigger items.
6ft of 3/8 braided sleeve to keep things tidy.
5 additional 14ga wires to use with your fused ends, if you wish. These will be ~1ft in length, and all color will vary. They will have the correct waterproof plugs and ends crimped on as well. Will be loose in the box, not plugged into the fuse/relay box.

This does NOT include:
Switches
Switch panel
spade connectors for switches
instructions
**Power cable** most people use 8ga, and depending on your mounting location you may need to spend a few dollars at an audio shop, or buy a kit on amazon.
**Ground wire** Most use 16ga, and ground at a factory location. I will include 3ft or a 12 ga wire if requested (no terminal ends).
Fuse or circuit breaker for your power wire of choice. the panel handles 60 amps, so that would be perfect with an 8ga kit.

In short:

This will include all of the wiring needed to get this setup up and running, barring your main power/ground, and a handful of generic wire connectors for the switches.

You will need to buy an 8ga amp wiring kit (about 15 bucks on Amazon) or some 8ga wire and a circuit breaker for about $20), a switch panel of your choice, and a handful of wire connectors for wiring up the switches to finish up your install.

If you have any additional questions please let me know.

Price: $110 shipped to the CONUS. Paypal gift preferred.
Shipping: Probably USPS flat rate, but may go UPS. Will ship on Friday, 12/8 if purchased this week. It may be earlier, but that all depends on how life goes...
100% ebay rating over 10+ years, and forum itrader references available if needed (other forums).

Pics:

Attachments

• image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 274
  • image2.jpg
    image2.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 277
  • image3.jpg
    image3.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 263
  • image4.jpg
    image4.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 274
  • image5.jpg
    image5.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 255
  • image6.jpg
    image6.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 263
  • image7.jpg
    image7.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 285
  • image8.jpg
    image8.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 277

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
its awesome that you built your own power distribution center, But

I HIGHLY doubt anyone around here is going to give you $110 for it AND THEN still have to piece things together in order to use it...

If they want to piece things together they could just follow the same write up you did and for less then half the cost. :crazyeyes:

GLWS :beer:

Last edited:

el_chupo_

Thanks - I would certainly encourage anyone with the time and desire to build one. Not too difficult to follow the write-up. A lot of people have things like old amp kits or pieces from other car projects (I do, which is why I hadnt ordered the larger wire parts.

Would you suggest that I should also provide the switch panel and switches? Is there an amount of stuff that is "acceptable" to source on your own? Nothing against a "write a check, pick it up" type person, but that isnt really me, so I am not sure what that line of thinking feels appropriate. I do appreciate the feedback.

But lets be real/honest :shock: - I will make maybe $10 (total on the pair) if they sell. Each is about $65 in parts from Waytek, $25 in 5 color wire if you dont already have 16ga sitting around (I didnt have nearly enough, so I bought some), 3/8th tech flex, fuses, and various other supplies. Things add up if you actually care to price out the actual costs of putting this together.

We are not even "half the cost" with the most basic of orders from Waytek, and unless you already have wire, fuses, tech flex, weatherpack connectors and Weatherpack crimpers sitting around, or are willing to do a hack job with generic crimpers, you will be spending very close to this amount, if not more. Soldering is also an option, but not really the best for this situation/terminals.

Pvan, per his first post:

Waytek order:
$66.18

If desired:
From waytekwire, fuses are:
46257 20A Fuses $5.60- Qty 50
46255 10A Fuses $5.60- Qty 50

$11.20

About $35 for wiring, fuse holder, fuse, terminals

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
I guess my point is, IF it were me:

I would sell it with everything, ready to go. OR try to sell it cheap to get rid of it. maybe 80% of what I had in it?

Your "target" right now is a DIY guy, who doesn't want to DIY the bussman box or the harness, but DOES want to DIY the rest... which seems pretty narrow IMO. :idontknow: again, just my :twocents:

Sharkey

Word Ninja
If it was me, I wouldn't be trying to build and sell shit to people on this forum because that is a violation of the rules. Selling take offs or extras is one thing, but this thread is starting to read like a business venture. :naw:

el_chupo_

I guess my point is, IF it were me:

I would sell it with everything, ready to go. OR try to sell it cheap to get rid of it. maybe 80% of what I had in it?

Your "target" right now is a DIY guy, who doesn't want to DIY the bussman box or the harness, but DOES want to DIY the rest... which seems pretty narrow IMO. :idontknow: again, just my :twocents:

Good point. The persons they were intended for would not be able/willing to do the bussman part, but they are local, and frankly I assumed I would be helping with light installs, so picking up supplies for their needs would have been trivial. I guess that sort of speaks to Sharkey's point below - not a business venture, which is why it isnt really thought out as such.

If it was me, I wouldn't be trying to build and sell shit to people on this forum because that is a violation of the rules. Selling take offs or extras is one thing, but this thread is starting to read like a business venture. :naw:

A valid concern on the mod side of things, and one I am certainly trying to avoid. I already deal with my day job, a few rental properties (and a recently deceased renter in one, good times with the police involvement), and have recently started becoming involved in my wife and father-in-laws business, as he passed away about 10 weeks ago. I am far too busy to mess with this as a side-gig, especially with the other alternatives on the market, but I will be happy to discuss this with any of the mods, and that is why I reached out regarding this exact concern before I posted anything. If it needs to be removed, I will quickly comply, if a mod does not wish to do so.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Waytek "DIY SPOD" accessory fuse/relay box for sale

If you just listed it for sale without all the bs I’m sure nobody would have issue. Too late for that now.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

MTG

Caught the Bug
A valid concern on the mod side of things, and one I am certainly trying to avoid. I already deal with my day job, a few rental properties (and a recently deceased renter in one, good times with the police involvement), and have recently started becoming involved in my wife and father-in-laws business, as he passed away about 10 weeks ago. I am far too busy to mess with this as a side-gig, especially with the other alternatives on the market, but I will be happy to discuss this with any of the mods, and that is why I reached out regarding this exact concern before I posted anything. If it needs to be removed, I will quickly comply, if a mod does not wish to do so.

Wow! With all that going on, maybe you should just have your assistant find it a good home?

el_chupo_

A great plan! Should have thought of that up front

Clearly I messed up with the post. My bad. Ill be happy to edit to a more appropriate listing, or remove. What works best for the forum/mods to comply with the rules?

Last edited:
Top Bottom