What’s this on the JL front axle

WJCO

Meme King
It's a front axle disconnect I believe. We were talking about it over on jlwrangler when Eddie and Cindy did the reveal coverage. A few manufacturers have used them over the years.

JAGS

Hooked
It's a front axle disconnect I believe. We were talking about it over on jlwrangler when Eddie and Cindy did the reveal coverage. A few manufacturers have used them over the years.

And for the newb like myself, what the hell is a FAD? Why have it on the JL?

WJCO

Meme King
And for the newb like myself, what the hell is a FAD? Why have it on the JL?

What I’ve read is, it’s almost like locking hubs. The Long shaft it split in two and spins freely until the actuator is activated and it locks the shaft.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Yes. It's just less power train resistance. I'm guessing fuel economy and lower parts wear would be primary reasons for this.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
A shitty alternative to locking hubs...

This ^^^ The FAD or front axle disconnect is designed to act like manual locking hubs in the open position. This is supposed to help improve MPG but at the cost of creating one more weak link. What I can tell you is that the engineers at Jeep fought hard to get rid of this thing.

SDG

Caught the Bug
So I guess manual locking hubs are a deal breaker, so it's either live axle or better MPG!

BobNH

So is this a throwback to the beloved CAD system in the YJ's, sort of Jeep's version of the other manufacturers doing their retro styling?

trailraider

here is a pic of the system they are using in the JL

Untitled.jpg

Edit: sorry its upside down.

Attachments

• FRT DISCO.pdf
    87.5 KB · Views: 16
Last edited by a moderator:

trailraider

Fixed it for you. Interesting. Where did you happen to get a hold of that drawing?

thank you

they just released the parts catalogue to the dealers yesterday. unfortunately no complete list of accessories/performance parts yet.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So is this a throwback to the beloved CAD system in the YJ's, sort of Jeep's version of the other manufacturers doing their retro styling?

Unfortunately, yes. But, it is supposed to be an improved version of it.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Chevy and Dodge have been using these in their pickups for a long time. They are usually pretty reliable but I wouldn’t want it on an offroad vehicle.

This is true but like you, I'd prefer not to have another weak link. Even the guys at Jeep fought against having this.

Top Bottom