Oil

mikem0141

So went to change my oil in my Jeep and found that the manual says use 5-30 yet everything else I've seen says 5-20. I live in an area where we have cold Winters and I am currently running the 5-30 is that correct?

Sent from my XT1650 using WAYALIFE mobile app

jeeeep

Hooked
So went to change my oil in my Jeep and found that the manual says use 5-30 yet everything else I've seen says 5-20. I live in an area where we have cold Winters and I am currently running the 5-30 is that correct?

Sent from my XT1650 using WAYALIFE mobile app

what's everything else?

either will work fine, I'd use the 5w-20 for the cold weather so it will flow easier on startup.

when we were 105*+ here for what seemed the entire summer I switched to 5w-30 until it cooled off again

Manual for my 2016 says 5w20, so does the cap as above. Thats what i run oil and filters from mopar.I'd stick with what your manual says for its specific vintage of pentastar. Just my 50 cents. The manual under capacities or fluids will also tell you the Mopar MS standards spec in case you stray from using Mopar oil.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using WAYALIFE mobile app

kawimoto

As stated above the cooler weather will allow the use of the lower viscosity 5w20 but in warmer weather its fine to run 5w30. I ran 5w20 when I first got my jeep but found the valvetrain was quite noisy on startup and still noisy once warm. I switched to 5w30 and haven't looked back. valetrain noise is gone now. as far as capacities go the manual is ok to follow as a reference but ultimately starting to cycle the pump and purge the system then checking with that engines dipstick is best.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
what's everything else?

either will work fine, I'd use the 5w-20 for the cold weather so it will flow easier on startup.

when we were 105*+ here for what seemed the entire summer I switched to 5w-30 until it cooled off again

As stated above the cooler weather will allow the use of the lower viscosity 5w20 but in warmer weather its fine to run 5w30. I ran 5w20 when I first got my jeep but found the valvetrain was quite noisy on startup and still noisy once warm. I switched to 5w30 and haven't looked back. valetrain noise is gone now. as far as capacities go the manual is ok to follow as a reference but ultimately starting to cycle the pump and purge the system then checking with that engines dipstick is best.

5-20 and 5-30 both have the same viscosity at a cold temp so they both flow the same. Now when the motor warms up the oil viscosity changes and gets thicker so it will flow differently as a 20 than a 30. That’s why in the summer a 30 could benefit the motor cause it takes up voids. A 30 will also benifit a more high mileage motor where the 20 will benefit a lower mileage motor.

Top Bottom