Sockets used

whytiptoe

So I have an idea, with all the knowledge everyone has here, we could come up with a comprehensive list of the sockets or wrenches used and at what location. The end result is, I want to only carry the required tools for my jeep. I know there will be that special time where an odd tool would have worked better, but if I could get it done I can get it done. What does everyone think about this? And knowing my luck my search I did, did not return the thread that already is there.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jesse3638

Hooked
Bring a comprehensive and complete tool kit. There is a thread already showing what a lot of people carry. Buy a service manual for you year jeep and then you have what you are asking for. Individual mods will change what tools you need. I carry 3/4-7/8 wrenches as most of my stock metric bolts have been replaced. Also a good set of gear wrenches is nice to have. I also carry a 15" adjustable wrench for my control arm jam nuts. There are too many tools to list. Just make sure to pack them where you can get to them when you need them.

Edit: Installing my lift and doing all my own maintenance allowed me to become familiar with my jeep and know what works where.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
I️ carry a packaged tool kit from Lowe’s along with a bag of miscellaneous tools/stuff. When I’m at the house wrenching a lot of times I’ll just use my trail tools to make sure I️ can complete a task with what I️ carry.

zimm

Caught the Bug
Probably too much work to do. The JK does use some odd sizes like 16, 18, and 19mm bolts. Throw in aftermarket stuff and you need to carry english too. I flipped a sway bar link on the trail and realized I didn't have a 3/4" anything to undo the end links! Luckily the other guys did and now I carry english wrenches as well. Don't forget a torx bit set. There are several threads on what tools to pack, lots of good ideas. The more I hit the trail and see people break stuff, the more I add to my list. I keep a running tally as a note in my phone, so the next time I'm at the store, I can grab the latest tool I saw work on the trail. The latest addition was a small sledge hammer, drift, and a 36mm socket for the front shafts (I learned you can "short shaft" the front to get it off the trail if you blow a u-joint by removing the inner shaft)

(I learned you can "short shaft" the front to get it off the trail if you blow a u-joint by removing the inner shaft)

On a JK, you can run completely without a shaft. They modified the unit bearing when designing the JK, added a flange that stops the unit bearing from separating. This is what also allows 2wd JK's to exist...

whytiptoe

I already carry a lot of tools and recovery gear and spares in the back of my jeep. IMG_0009.JPG I just want to slim it down to what will actually be used 98% of the time. If your out on the trail the drivetrain and suspension are more than likely be the cause of any stoppage.

I will be making a list here this weekend by putting a wrench or socket on everything, but there are some things that I may miss because I, A. Can’t get to them or B. Don’t have the correct size socket or wrench to verify the size.

MTG

Caught the Bug
I had always wanted to go through the jeep and create a list with bolt/nut size and torque spec that I could laminate and keep in the jeep. Like always, life got in the way.

jeeeep

Hooked
I tried to group tools by repair/upgrade.

had a list going when I changed out the ball joints since the hub had to come off...didn't last long as getting the job done won out over taking notes lol

I've pretty much got it down to a few deep impact sockets, some ratchet wrenches and shallow impact sockets to fit under the rear seat.

My goal is to put the weight of tools more center.

2 roll bags and 1 tool box I picked up at lowes :

20171206_153149.jpg

20171206_153349.jpg

20171206_153540.jpg

This isn't all I pack for every trip, also have recovery gear, flat tire repair tools and fluids.

Last edited:

Slimebones

I️ carry a packaged tool kit from Lowe’s along with a bag of miscellaneous tools/stuff. When I’m at the house wrenching a lot of times I’ll just use my trail tools to make sure I️ can complete a task with what I️ carry.

I too like to use my carry tools when working at home. This way I can add any necessary additional tools needed for a given task.

scrota76

UaddkcO.jpeg Sorry, i couldn't help it.

I have a heavy duty canvas tool bag, and i basically take almost all my tools (wrenches, torx bits, sockets, screw drivers, hammer, baling wire, duct tape, electric tape, wire stripers, and wire connectors w/shrink wrap). That has seemes to work, but knock on wood, no major breaks yet.

Sent from my SM-G935V using WAYALIFE mobile app

J

JKDream

View attachment 285174 Sorry, i couldn't help it.

I have a heavy duty canvas tool bag, and i basically take almost all my tools (wrenches, torx bits, sockets, screw drivers, hammer, baling wire, duct tape, electric tape, wire stripers, and wire connectors w/shrink wrap). That has seemes to work, but knock on wood, no major breaks yet.

Sent from my SM-G935V using WAYALIFE mobile app
Same, pack pretty much every tool I own. Never know when something like a pipe wrench, chisels etc will come in handy. Recently started carrying arc rods in case something needs to be welded. Would've saved me a tow when my track bar broke into two.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using WAYALIFE mobile app

pwhalley

I’d carry a socket kit 8mm-36mm if you can, common sizes are 8(hose clamps) 10(battery) 15(drag link) 18(draglink) 19(control arms) 21(control arms) 22(control arms), or a 3/8”,19/32”,11/16”,3/4”,13/16”,7/8”.
2 12” shifters, a pry bar, a hard and soft hammer, cutters, long nose pliers, socket size adapters is: 1/2” to 3/8” for the diff filler plugs. Torx sockets, Allen keys. Big breaker bar (also comes in handy if you snap something) test light, multimeter.
That’s my 2 cents. When I go off-road I do carry more but that’s to help others

Top Bottom