sway bar link rubbing coils

JKrob15

After my lift was installed, I noticed the sway bar end link was rubbing the coil on the driver side. I had the alignment adjusted and it created a little bit of a gap on the driver side but it never matched the passenger side. Over the past year I've noticed the driver side gap slowly decrease to the point that I'm rubbing again. Jeep still tracks well, no issues with tire wear. Anyone else encounter this before? 2015jku Teraflex short arm kit.

Attachments

• IMG_0757.jpg
    IMG_0757.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_0756.jpg
    IMG_0756.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 154

Jsouder53

Hooked
I have marks on my coils from rubbing, but not a clue if it’s a major issue... like you said, it tracks fine and had an alignment after I installed the lift.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
After my lift was installed, I noticed the sway bar end link was rubbing the coil on the driver side. I had the alignment adjusted and it created a little bit of a gap on the driver side but it never matched the passenger side. Over the past year I've noticed the driver side gap slowly decrease to the point that I'm rubbing again. Jeep still tracks well, no issues with tire wear. Anyone else encounter this before? 2015jku Teraflex short arm kit.

Yeah, I seen it back when I was running their lift years ago. Assuming you're running the TeraFlex control arms, you have your axle pushed too far forward and have the upper control arms mounted to the axle using the forward most holes. Contrary to what the TeraFlex instructions tell you to do, this is WRONG and it's the reason why you're seeing what you are.

Jsouder53

Hooked
Yeah, I seen it back when I was running their lift years ago. Assuming you're running the TeraFlex control arms, you have your axle pushed too far forward and have the upper control arms mounted to the axle using the forward most holes. Contrary to what the TeraFlex instructions tell you to do, this is WRONG and it's the reason why you're seeing what you are.

So a fix would be to short the control arms? I’m running rough country with adjustable control arms

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So a fix would be to short the control arms? I’m running rough country with adjustable control arms

Not necessarily. The OP has a TeraFlex lift and that's a specific problem I have personally seen with their kit. What do you have your lower control arms set at? How much caster are you running? Are you sure your coils are seated in the lower perches correctly. There are a lot of variable that could cause a problem like this including how the coils terminate on the bottom and I'd need to know a few of these things before I could even begin to make a guess.

Jsouder53

Hooked
Not necessarily. The OP has a TeraFlex lift and that's a specific problem I have personally seen with their kit. What do you have your lower control arms set at? How much caster are you running? Are you sure your coils are seated in the lower perches correctly. There are a lot of variable that could cause a problem like this including how the coils terminate on the bottom and I'd need to know a few of these things before I could even begin to make a guess.

Sorry I jumped in, I just figured it would be a similar issue between rough country and teraflex. I’m not certain what the lower control arms are set at or how much caster I’m running at this moment. I do know my coils are seated properly though.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry I jumped in, I just figured it would be a similar issue between rough country and teraflex. I’m not certain what the lower control arms are set at or how much caster I’m running at this moment. I do know my coils are seated properly though.

Find out the rest and let us know. But, maybe start a new thread :crazyeyes:

JKrob15

Thanks for the reply. Looks like it is connected using the forward most mounting holes. MVIMG_20171208_093539.jpg
MVIMG_20171208_093555.jpg

Also snapped a shot of the lower control arms. Appears more 'thread' is exposed on one side. Feel like I have a mess of a setup right now.

IMG_0758.JPG
IMG_0759.JPG

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the reply. Looks like it is connected using the forward most mounting holes.

Imagine that? I could tell you exactly what your suspension looked like without having seen photos first.

Also snapped a shot of the lower control arms. Appears more 'thread' is exposed on one side. Feel like I have a mess of a setup right now.

Unfortunately, it looks like you suspension was setup with the stupid "cross caster" that TeraFlex instructs you to set. AS IF a SOLID axle can be setup with cross caster. The only thing this will do is put a crazy amount of bind in on your joints, cause them to fail prematurely or worse, contribute to your housing to break. Trust me, I have seen it.

JKrob15

Imagine that? I could tell you exactly what your suspension looked like without having seen photos first.

Unfortunately, it looks like you suspension was setup with the stupid "cross caster" that TeraFlex instructs you to set. AS IF a SOLID axle can be setup with cross caster. The only thing this will do is put a crazy amount of bind in on your joints, cause them to fail prematurely or worse, contribute to your housing to break. Trust me, I have seen it.
What do you recommend?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
What do you recommend?

Start over. Your factory front lower control arms measure 22-5/8″ in length eye to eye. As a starting point, I would set both of your TeraFlex adjustable front lower control arms to being 23″ long which is 3/8″ longer than stock. Again, this is just a starting point and it may need to be made shorter once all is said and done. As far as your upper arms go, use the rear holes on the axle mount flanges and their length will be determined based on your caster. This should be no more than +4°.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
Start over. Your factory front lower control arms measure 22-5/8″ in length eye to eye. As a starting point, I would set both of your TeraFlex adjustable front lower control arms to being 23″ long which is 3/8″ longer than stock. Again, this is just a starting point and it may need to be made shorter once all is said and done. As far as your upper arms go, use the rear holes on the axle mount flanges and their length will be determined based on your caster. This should be no more than +4°.

I love it. I learn something here, all the time.

JKrob15

Thanks. Time to get to work.

Top Bottom