Stock axles on 40's

Patton007

Anyone running 40's on stock axle housings? I have the stock axle housings on my jku and I have 4.88 gears and lockers front and rear. Planning on getting beefy axle shafts and then throwing 40's on it. Will these stock housings we able to hold up with 40's or will they most likely crack or break? Who has experience with this?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Anyone running 40's on stock axle housings? I have the stock axle housings on my jku and I have 4.88 gears and lockers front and rear. Planning on getting beefy axle shafts and then throwing 40's on it. Will these stock housings we able to hold up with 40's or will they most likely crack or break? Who has experience with this?

XJ's are light. Do you have a Dana 35 in the rear or a Chrysler 8.25? Either way, leave the differentials open and don't play too hard and you should be able to do it if you can actually get enough lift to clear them.... maybe a SOA or 10" of lift :idontknow:

Patton007

XJ's are light. Do you have a Dana 35 in the rear or a Chrysler 8.25? Either way, leave the differentials open and don't play too hard and you should be able to do it if you can actually get enough lift to clear them.... maybe a SOA or 10" of lift :idontknow:

I have the Dana 35 in my Cherokee with open doffs front and rear. Sorry for the confusion but I was originally talking about putting 40's on my 2013 JKU. My jku is 4.88 gears front and rear with a Detroit auto locker in the rear and a auburn electronic locker in the front. (The Cherokee needs a lot of work before it gets 40's lol)

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have the Dana 35 in my Cherokee with open doffs front and rear. Sorry for the confusion but I was originally talking about putting 40's on my 2013 JKU. My jku is 4.88 gears front and rear with a Detroit auto locker in the rear and a auburn electronic locker in the front. (The Cherokee needs a lot of work before it gets 40's lol)

LOL!! JKU's are heavy Jeeps. Keep it on pavement and you can probably run any tire you want. 5.38 would be the ratio you'd want to bring your performance back to stock but that'll leave you with a tiny pinion. 4.88's will leave your Jeep feeling like a dog. If you wheel it, stick to easy trails, keep the diffs open and you might be able to make work for quite some time. Lock it up and really play with it - you're ring and pinion and/or axle shaft will blow way before your housing starts to bend.

Patton007

LOL!! JKU's are heavy Jeeps. Keep it on pavement and you can probably run any tire you want. 5.38 would be the ratio you'd want to bring your performance back to stock but that'll leave you with a tiny pinion. 4.88's will leave your Jeep feeling like a dog. If you wheel it, stick to easy trails, keep the diffs open and you might be able to make work for quite some time. Lock it up and really play with it - you're ring and pinion and/or axle shaft will blow way before your housing starts to bend.

My jku already feels like a dog especially on the freeway[emoji23] haha ok cool thanks for the info. I'll have to upgrade my axle shafts and gears before I put 40's on it[emoji1360] and maybe I'll truss the axles for good measure. And maybe sleeve them haha

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
My jku already feels like a dog especially on the freeway[emoji23] haha ok cool thanks for the info. I'll have to upgrade my axle shafts and gears before I put 40's on it[emoji1360] and maybe I'll truss the axles for good measure. And maybe sleeve them haha

Uh, that isn't what I said but if you believe all that crap will make a difference, go for it :yup:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
You said if I throw 40's on and I keep it locked I will most like blow the ring and pinion or break the axles shafts and or bend the housing correct?

Never said anything about the housing bending. What I said is that you would most likely blow your ring and pinion and/or shaft before you'd even need to think about the housing. And really, not like a bent housing would leave you high and dry. In other words, a truss is a waste of money. Chromoly shafts would be a waste of money as they would still be small and the right gear ratio would ENSURE you would have a failure because the pinion would be crazy small in a Dana 44.

IF you actually plan to play with your Jeep, you really need to REPLACE your axle housings with BIGGER axles like a ProRok 60 if only because they come with BIGGER ring and pinions and BIGGER shafts. But again, that's ONLY if you really intend on playing hard with your Jeep.

Clutch

Caught the Bug
Why put 40s on just to then have to baby the SOB? Trusses and sleeves do not work. Eddie said leave the diffs open, regear, gusset the c’s, and go easy.

Patton007

Never said anything about the housing bending. What I said is that you would most likely blow your ring and pinion and/or shaft before you'd even need to think about the housing. And really, not like a bent housing would leave you high and dry. In other words, a truss is a waste of money. Chromoly shafts would be a waste of money as they would still be small and the right gear ratio would ENSURE you would have a failure because the pinion would be crazy small in a Dana 44.

IF you actually plan to play with your Jeep, you really need to REPLACE your axle housings with BIGGER axles like a ProRok 60 if only because they come with BIGGER ring and pinions and BIGGER shafts. But again, that's ONLY if you really intend on playing hard with your Jeep.

Gotcha my bad. Ok well I guess I'll save my penny's and throw some pro rocks under it one day and then get 40's. Thanks for the help. Sorry for being a little slow haha

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Gotcha my bad. Ok well I guess I'll save my penny's and throw some pro rocks under it one day and then get 40's. Thanks for the help. Sorry for being a little slow haha

It's all good. Like I said, it can be done but the real question that needs to be asked, should it be done? If it were me, I would play with what you've got and save up until you need or can afford to upgrade. There's plenty of fun to be had and even more to be learned running trails on smaller tires. :yup:

Patton007

It's all good. Like I said, it can be done but the real question that needs to be asked, should it be done? If it were me, I would play with what you've got and save up until you need or can afford to upgrade. There's plenty of fun to be had and even more to be learned running trails on smaller tires. :yup:

Yeah I agree with that. There's plenty of good fun wheeling to do in the mean time. Do you think I would be ok right now just to run 37's in the mean time until I can get axles one day? Or is that a little too far too? I have 35's right now

WJCO

Meme King
I was originally talking about putting 40's on my 2013 JKU. My jku is 4.88 gears front and rear with a Detroit auto locker in the rear and a auburn electronic locker in the front.

Yeah I agree with that. There's plenty of good fun wheeling to do in the mean time. Do you think I would be ok right now just to run 37's in the mean time until I can get axles one day? Or is that a little too far too? I have 35's right now

If you're running a locked 30 up front, I would say stick with 35s at most. Especially with 4.88s. Save for a ProRock.

Top Bottom