S-Pod or DIY wiring and relays.

jesse3638

Hooked
Hey everyone. I was just looking to see if anyone on here has experience using an s-pod. It seems like a pretty quick and simple install and appears to be user friendly. The only draw back is the price. Its pretty expensive and I'm sure a similar fuse block could be built for a fraction of the cost. Anyone with experience with both set-ups please chime in and let me know what you think. Thanks for your help.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The sPod is a good setup and you'll find that lots of people love it. I personally would never buy one because of the shady business tactics the owner employs. Specifically, I've caught him red handed pimping his product on JKF while pretending to be multiple regular members on the forum. He literally had conversations with himself in an effort to talk people out of doing what you're considering and justify the cost of his product. Because of this, I've chosen to run a similar switch that costs less and works just as well in my opinion. It is made by a company called Off Road Engineering and they will custom make whatever you need.

Here's a link to the showoff thread I started on it awhile back:
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?...m-Switch-Panel-Installed!!&highlight=switches

Another solution that I have found since that time is still cheaper than the sPod and just as versitile:
http://www.shopwiredhdh.com/Flat-Sw...ries--Programmable--MADE-IN-THE-USA_p_14.html

Of course, it's your money and you can spend it however you want but, if you look at the alternatives, I think you'll agree that these other two options are just as good if not better than the sPod. At least, I think so anyway.

13JKUR

What do those run? I'm sure alot depends on how many switches etc but just curious on an average cost.

jesse3638

Hooked
Thanks for the quick reply Eddie. I haven't done a whole lot of research on prefabbed switch modules and was not aware of these products. I like the idea of the s-pod but not too crazy about the overhead switch location. I like these two products because the switch panel is much smaller. Oh decisions decisions...haha thanks. Does anyone make a switch like the factory switches (locker, sway-bar disco, ESP off, etc..) that can be installed into the factory panel?

Philip *AZ*

Banned
I am really liking both of these as well, but can you dim the lights on them or choose not to run the backlighting? I understand when using them during the day the back light would be a major plus and of course if you have something on you would want the active light on. But during night driving those bad boys could add a ton of light in the cabin area. Personally I like the cabin area to be fairly dark. I run all my regular guages pretty low light at night as well.

Dave_g

The 6-switch panel system runs $325.00, 60A, 6 outputs. 8-switch, 120A, 12 outputs is $455.00 10-switch, 120A, 12 outputs is $475.00 12-switch, 120A, 12 outputs is $495.00

Dave_g

I'm super close to pulling the trigger on one, just trying to verify some of my inputs for some cooler features on it. And saving so the wife is happy.

Tcdawg

I have some friends that run the SPod. They love it and from what I have seen, it's a nice piece.

It was too rich for my blood. I use a Daystar switch panel(only 4 switches vs spods 6 or 8?) and a Bussman black box that has relays and fuses and then OTRATTW switches.

It's a simplified and smaller version of the sPod but it works perfect for me.

Top Bottom