Stalling when turning

Rubicrawler

2012 JKU, 4in suspension lift, 4.88 gears, 37” tires. Engine has starting stalling when turning at very low speeds. Cutting a donut when idling in forward or reserves will stall engine and then check engine light comes on. Took to dealership the replaced bank 1 cam actuator, drove home and retested turning low speed. Same thing happened, took back to dealership, they replaced PCM. Drove home and retested turning very low speed and same thing. I tested turning when in park and engine will shudder. Jacked front end up to take pressure off tires and retested turning wheels, same thing it will shudder and almost stall. Wonder if power steering pump could be causing the problem. Any ideas?

WJCO

Meme King
Misfire code, timing code, and an injector code and symptom only occurs while turning? My gut feeling is a bad ground or a wiring issue that moves when you turn. I would have someone turn the wheel while you carefully look at all wiring that may be moving/vibrating, especially near steering shaft.

Rubicrawler

Misfire code, timing code, and an injector code and symptom only occurs while turning? My gut feeling is a bad ground or a wiring issue that moves when you turn. I would have someone turn the wheel while you carefully look at all wiring that may be moving/vibrating, especially near steering shaft.

Thank you...will do

jeeeep

Hooked
check the camshaft position sensor, if the number begins with the letter "D" it should be replaced.

The sensor is located under the transmission dipstick

jeeeep

Hooked
Starts with the letter B

View attachment 285299

I need to double check my 2015 but I thought that sensor on mine was rotated so there is no stress on the connector wiring.

I'd make sure the connector is seated all the way.

I thought the actuator and sensor were 2 separate components (internal vs. external), did the dealer change the sensor out (?) since they replaced the actuator. I'm not a mechanic so I may be way off on this.

I'd try resetting the PCM, disconnect the battery and let it sit overnight, this should make the PCM relearn for changes made.

Last edited:

Rubicrawler

I need to double check my 2015 but I thought that sensor on mine was rotated so there is no stress on the connector wiring.

I'd make sure the connector is seated all the way.

I thought the actuator and sensor were 2 separate components (internal vs. external), did the dealer change the sensor out (?) since they replaced the actuator. I'm not a mechanic so I may be way off on this.

I'd try resetting the PCM, disconnect the battery and let it sit overnight, this should make the PCM relearn for changes made.

They did not change cam position sensor, just the cam actuator. PCM was also replaced. Neither helped the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jeeeep

Hooked
They did not change cam position sensor, just the cam actuator. PCM was also replaced. Neither helped the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

surprised they wouldn't change the sensor since it's the usual suspect on issues like this.

if it were me, I'd change the sensor but 1st I'd reset the PSM again to make sure it was reset:

Instructions from Quadratec- once you disconnect the battery wait at least 20 minutes to allow all the capacitors to drain the stored energy.

1. Disconnect the battery by removing the Negative battery cable (This will ensure that any possibility of grounding the power side to the vehicle [or yourself - think wedding ring] does not happen.)

2. Disconnect the Positive battery cable

3. Allow a few moments to pass before reconnecting the cables

4. Reconnect the positive cable to the battery

5. Reconnect the negative cable to the battery

6. Turn the Vehicle on

The ECM parameters for all sensor calibration monitors have now been reset. It can take anywhere from a few minutes to a few days for all of the system parameters to be restored within the unit.

Top Bottom