Aries HD Tire Carrier

14JK-U

i'll be installing my 35s next week and need to change out my stock carrier, I like the looks of the rear bumper/carrier combos but any quality ones are $$$ I can save for my prorocks I'm saving for again. I came across this "Aries HD Tire Carrier" that replaces the hinges and comes with an extended and adjustable tire carrier. I recall Aries making some quality products in the past but haven't had any experience with them for many years, the price of this set up has me a little skeptical for a complete set up including hinges/mount/brake light relocation all for under $300. anyone have experience with this product?

BaddestCross

i'll be installing my 35s next week and need to change out my stock carrier, I like the looks of the rear bumper/carrier combos but any quality ones are $$$ I can save for my prorocks I'm saving for again. I came across this "Aries HD Tire Carrier" that replaces the hinges and comes with an extended and adjustable tire carrier. I recall Aries making some quality products in the past but haven't had any experience with them for many years, the price of this set up has me a little skeptical for a complete set up including hinges/mount/brake light relocation all for under $300. anyone have experience with this product?
The stock carrier works fine for 35s as long as you extend the isolator. There's a write-up on how to do that here for a few dollars and a bit of your time.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

14JK-U

The stock carrier works fine for 35s as long as you extend the isolator. There's a write-up on how to do that here for a few dollars and a bit of your time.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

I've seen that it can hold the 35 physically but have also heard it can't stand the added weight for long before it starts bending/cracking welds. is this another fine example of internet rumor or is it fact?:idontknow:

J

JKDream

I've seen that it can hold the 35 physically but have also heard it can't stand the added weight for long before it starts bending/cracking welds. is this another fine example of internet rumor or is it fact?:idontknow:

That happens if you do not extend the isolators. The tire will move back and forth and create leverage to break the welds.
If you extend them that does not happen. I ran 37's on the stock carrier for almost a year until I broke it.
No real fault of the carrier, I just hit it really hard coming off a ledge.

14JK-U

just found and read through the thread, seems like a solid DIY mod i'll have to try. your last post mentioned the tire creating leverage if isolators aren't extended, by extending those will it help eliminate the bending of the sheet metal near the hinges? or is that caused by the weight of the tire over a long period of time?

sinawalli

I had a 285-75-17 Ridge Grappler on my OEM carrier, with extended isolators and after a couple of months, it sounded like squirrels fighting back there. Changed to a Rancho rear bumper with tire carrier, all good! IMG_0074.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jeeeep

Hooked
I had my 35 mounted on the stock carrier for 5 years no issues - extended the isolators so I had support and also make sure the wheel sits flush on the carrier mount

bunch of trips to Moab etc...never had any issues. Now have 37's with ATX beadlocks on AEV carrier with stock bumper.

jeeeep

Hooked
I had a 285-75-17 Ridge Grappler on my OEM carrier, with extended isolators and after a couple of months, it sounded like squirrels fighting back there. Changed to a Rancho rear bumper with tire carrier, all good! View attachment 285337

looks like you're running stock wheels?

did you put a wheel extender on the carrier to make sure the wheel sat flush against the mount? That's the #1 issue I've seen when guys mount a larger tire on a stock wheel - not enough backspace to get a flush fit on the tire carrier mount.

Arrcherr

Caught the Bug

did you put a wheel extender on the carrier to make sure the wheel sat flush against the mount? That's the #1 issue I've seen when guys mount a larger tire on a stock wheel - not enough backspace to get a flush fit on the tire carrier mount.
That's an excellent point, I was actually wondering about that same thing prior to making a tire/spacer purchase. Thanks jeeep

jeeeep

Hooked
That's an excellent point, I was actually wondering about that same thing prior to making a tire/spacer purchase. Thanks jeeep

that and isolators should allow you to run a 35.

mine stuck out enough I also ran a DIY beaver tail for any ledges- no catching the tire with this in the hitch:

Jeep_stinger.jpg

sinawalli

Tire and OEM rim would not fit on stock carrier. Used a Smittybilt adapter to get it on

Top Bottom