OME springs rusting

wanderer

The frontsprings on my jeep are rusting very badly it is they are rotting away.
Nothing else not the trac bar control arms etc sure there is a bit of rust but this is a10 year old jeep with 170000 on it’s minor surface rust is normal right? But this major. Seems to me this is odd the back springs are not rusting these are 4” OME springs they are 41/2 years old. I a pretty pissed off individual right now.
Off-road warehouse told me only 3 year warranty but I wrote them anyway
What to do?

sm31

I've had OME springs on my TJ for 6 years without a hint of rust. Strange...

wanderer

springs

here is a photo you can see the metal is pitted and corroded. But it only hapenning to the fornt springs sure there is some other rust So what is causing this it didnot happen tot he rear springs ?
is it possible that a gasket leak in the coolling system some how caused the springs to be steam cleaned with coolant fluid. ( grasping at straws) I had blown abunch of gaskets. I do live about a mile fomr the beach but that is not it. it did not affect the rear springs at all. Should the mnufacturuer OME cover this? These are 41/2 years old. You don't normally think of spring wearing out in 4 to 5 years?
OME touts their stuff as being built for the out bacK yada yada yada>>> Honestly I have used many OME prodcuts before and found that their stuff is very good. BUt this is awful .
so what are your thoughts?

Attachments

• jeep srping.jpg
    jeep srping.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 39

jeeeep

Hooked
sway bar links look the same as the coils , I've had that happen with my coils over time, not to the extent you have going on there but I repainted mine as soon as I saw signs of rust and the powder coat begin to blister.

Fronts always seemed to be worse than the rears.

Once I saw the rust and powder coat peeling I pulled them off, took a wire wheel to remove all loose rust and powder coat then hit them with a rust converter/encapsulator then use VHT chassis/roll bar paint.

Should OME be responsible? Had it happened within the 1st year, yes but 4.5 years later - no.

Strodinator

Caught the Bug
sway bar links look the same as the coils , I've had that happen with my coils over time, not to the extent you have going on there but I repainted mine as soon as I saw signs of rust and the powder coat begin to blister.

Fronts always seemed to be worse than the rears.

Once I saw the rust and powder coat peeling I pulled them off, took a wire wheel to remove all loose rust and powder coat then hit them with a rust converter/encapsulator then use VHT chassis/roll bar paint.

Should OME be responsible? Had it happened within the 1st year, yes but 4.5 years later - no.
I agree also just brush them well and prep and paint them. It's pretty common with front coils, I guess because they absorb the brunt of the environment. I wouldn't worry unless the pitting goes beyond the surface.

Sent from my Life One X2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom