Oil leak

Gbint

So the other day I was entering a highway and was required to accelerate hard, 2nd gear up to about 6,000 rpm. Probably for the second time in the 60,000 kilometre life so far. Later that day I could smell what seemed like oil burning on the exhaust. Sure enough there was oil on the cross over and around the manual transmission. Washed the area off with brake cleaner and see what happens. I’m perplexed as I can’t find the source. I’ve been a master auto mechanic for 40 years( training always current) and I’m just wondering if anyone has seen this on 3.6 JK’s

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jorgelrod

Hooked
I was about to post a new thread. I had my oil change two weeks ago, today I drove from Jacksonville to Orlando, a good 150 miles and when I came out about an hour later after we arrived to Orlando I noticed oil under the jeep. It's dripping from the sides of the tranny into the crossmember and into the ground. It engine oil, it's not tranny fluid so I'm at a loss as to where it might be coming from.

I was about to post a new thread. I had my oil change two weeks ago, today I drove from Jacksonville to Orlando, a good 150 miles and when I came out about an hour later after we arrived to Orlando I noticed oil under the jeep. It's dripping from the sides of the tranny into the crossmember and into the ground. It engine oil, it's not tranny fluid so I'm at a loss as to where it might be coming from.
Have a look at the oil filter housing on top of the motor. There's been threads about over tightening the plastic cap that cracks the plastic housing, and causing oil leaks.

Look past the filter, there's a vally see if you have oil accumulating down there.

If I recall 2014 was one of the worst years for this.

Best of luck to find the source of the leak.

DMF

Have a look at the oil filter housing on top of the motor. There's been threads about over tightening the plastic cap that cracks the plastic housing, and causing oil leaks.

Look past the filter, there's a vally see if you have oil accumulating down there.

If I recall 2014 was one of the worst years for this.

Best of luck to find the source of the leak.

I have a 2014 and my oil filter housing cracked and leaked down to the exhaust and transmission area.

jorgelrod

Hooked
So this morning, I turned the jeep on it developed a bad case of engine oil diarrhea. I risked getting to the closest dealership with service on Sundays, they checked it and turns out the engine oil cooler where the whole oilfield resides developed a crack or something. I was lucky, service tech said I was at 19% oil pressure. I was even luckier, it was covered under the powertrain warranty.

jorgelrod

Hooked
All good now, thankfully, oil filter housing replaced

Attachments

• 6B4F6B4A-96D0-4756-AFFD-BC4D4A7F838E.jpg
    6B4F6B4A-96D0-4756-AFFD-BC4D4A7F838E.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 119

Gbint

Dealer just called. It’s oil filter housing as suspected. Warranty.... Yahoo! As it’s about a 900.00 fix in B.C. Dealer here in Victoria is great. As a mechanic for over 40 years though it’s weird having someone else repair your rig.

Gbint

Apparently there was also a small coolant leak at mine also. When I brought it in for the oil leak I mentioned I’ve been smelling coolant since day one but almost no coolant loss. That too seems to be gone.

Top Bottom