Work required for dana 60's?

fiend

Caught the Bug
Work a lot until you have saved up $15k for axles and new wheels. Then spend the money on axles and new wheels.

If your looking to upgrade to 60's and throw those wheels on your wasting 15k or more and like Eddie said what advice are you looking for?

RockinAZJK

Caught the Bug
I'm thinking of going dana 60's, just wanting some advice from people who have done this work.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Whether you even need to depends on what you do with your jeep. But often (depends on what you go with vs already have) you’re looking at wheels, tie rod, brakes, driveshaft, etc. This is also assuming you go with something you pre-setup for a JK...

Benito

Caught the Bug
No one "needs" dana 60's[emoji23]. I just wondering the actual work required under the jeep

The only work required is that you remove the old axles and install the new ones in reverse order of what you did! Surely your not asking if you need to put the Jeep on jack stands right? You can do the install with basic hand tools, socket wrenches, wrenches, torque wrench, rubber mallet. Depending on what you go with you may be required to swap brake parts, or only have to connect the brake lines to the new calipers, you might have to re-route your e-brake cables. Swap over speed sensors, i would just buy new ones though, unless Your Jeep is fairly new. As others mentioned you will need more than just the axles. If you go with a front axle that has locking hubs you will need new wheels, if you go with a full float rear you will need new wheels. You will need New drive shafts, or resize your drive shafts if you already have an aftermarket, more than likely you’ll need drive shafts w/1350 u-joints. If you already have a top mount draglink you need to find you stock one or re-configure what you have to be bottom mount.

Parks34

When i lifted i did the minimum possible. No control arms, no drag link, and only a mount for the rear Trac bar. Stock axles, i mean the bare minimum

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
When i lifted i did the minimum possible. No control arms, no drag link, and only a mount for the rear Trac bar. Stock axles, i mean the bare minimum

I still run a factory track bar and drag link with my XD60, 40" tires and DTD. You'll be fine there. Assuming you'll be running bigger tires that what you have now and therefore a bit more lift, you'll want at the very least new adjustable front lower arms if only to set your caster. In the rear, you will NEED to be running a new aftermarket drive shaft and you will need at minimum, adjustable rear upper arms so that you can set your pinion angle. However, you'd be best served to get all new HD control arms being especially IF you plan on playing with your new axles.

Parks34

I still run a factory track bar and drag link with my XD60, 40" tires and DTD. You'll be fine there. Assuming you'll be running bigger tires that what you have now and therefore a bit more lift, you'll want at the very least new adjustable front lower arms if only to set your caster. In the rear, you will NEED to be running a new aftermarket drive shaft and you will need at minimum, adjustable rear upper arms so that you can set your pinion angle. However, you'd be best served to get all new HD control arms being especially IF you plan on playing with your new axles.

Now a question. Did the axles actually add any height?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Ok, i didn't know if the axles were taller, just wondered

Well, they're "bigger" and parts of it are dimensionally taller and so if anything, you will LOSE ground clearance with a Dana 60 unless you run bigger tires. If you're looking at a Dynatrac ProRock 60 or XD60, they are profiled in a way to give you optimal clearance.

Top Bottom