255/80/17 Cooper Discoverer ST MAXX

powrsurg

So I just pulled the trigger on these tires. After 3 weeks of research I think this is the best size for me. On my old Rubi I had a 4 inch lift with 35's. Only once did I actually go mudding and rock crawling. This time around Im much more sober about reality.

I was originally going to get 285/75/17 and then the 285/70/17 but still found threads on multiple forums saying a lift was needed for these if you disconnect the sway bars.

I have the Spidertrax Wheels spacers that I may put on to give the Jeep a wider stance. I will only do so if it doesn't create a rubbing situation.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If you push your tires out, there will be a GREATER likelihood of your tires rubbing your fenders. I would recommend that you trim your fenders or install a leveling kit to run these tires effectively.

powrsurg

If you push your tires out, there will be a GREATER likelihood of your tires rubbing your fenders. I would recommend that you trim your fenders or install a leveling kit to run these tires effectively.

Great to hear from you WayofLife. Maybe you remember me from the other site. What you said makes sense. From what I read I should ok at full articulation without spacers though right?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Great to hear from you WayofLife. Maybe you remember me from the other site. What you said makes sense. From what I read I should ok at full articulation without spacers though right?

Negative. At a full stuff and wheels turned, your sidewalls will make contact with your sway bar link ends and that can cause a blowout. I have seen this happen countless times.

powrsurg

Negative. At a full stuff and wheels turned, your sidewalls will make contact with your sway bar link ends and that can cause a blowout. I have seen this happen countless times.

So then in reality the stock Rubi tire size is the largest you should go without any issues at all?

For me the chances of being in the situation you describe is pretty low. Leveling kits are pretty cheap through so I may go that route. Thank you

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So then in reality the stock Rubi tire size is the largest you should go without any issues at all?

For me the chances of being in the situation you describe is pretty low. Leveling kits are pretty cheap through so I may go that route. Thank you

For ZERO issues, a 265 is about as big as you can go on factory wheels. That's what came on the 10th Anniversary Edition JK Rubicons. A leveling kit is still what I would highly recommend.

powrsurg

One last question. What if I don't put the wheel spacers on? I don't think this scenario was addressed.

USMC Wrangler

I ran the same size tire, but BFG KM2's. With Spidertrax 1.5" wheel spacers, EVO HD Leveling kit, full factory fenders and disconnected sway bars, I had some minor rubbing but very rarely. There are pics and other info throughout my build thread below.

I liked the setup but the 35 bug bit me. I'm still running everything else the same except cut factory fenders.

Overall "build thread"
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?26097-I-guess-it-s-the-quot-Super-Stocker-quot-build

DIY trail/tube door build http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?24449-My-DIY-Doors

powrsurg

Ill check out your build pics. On my last JK I went straight to a 4in lift and 35's before i even took delivery of the vehicle. This time i'm doing things differently.
I went with the Coopers because I am very unhappy with the tread life of the stock BFG's that came with the Rubi. I bought this one used and with only 22k miles on it the tires already need to be replaced.

I ran the same size tire, but BFG KM2's. With Spidertrax 1.5" wheel spacers, EVO HD Leveling kit, full factory fenders and disconnected sway bars, I had some minor rubbing but very rarely. There are pics and other info throughout my build thread below.

I liked the setup but the 35 bug bit me. I'm still running everything else the same except cut factory fenders.

Overall "build thread"
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?26097-I-guess-it-s-the-quot-Super-Stocker-quot-build

DIY trail/tube door build http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?24449-My-DIY-Doors

BobNH

Having a hard time understanding the need for spacers etc for a tire the same width as stock? If the title is correct at least. This would be about 33x10x17. Stock (255/75r17) is about 32x10x17. Does this really impact turning radius, etc?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

USMC Wrangler

Having a hard time understanding the need for spacers etc for a tire the same width as stock? If the title is correct at least. This would be about 33x10x17. Stock (255/75r17) is about 32x10x17. Does this really impact turning radius, etc?

In my case, the spacers reduced rubbing up front while disconnected. Also, it was a better "look" to me.

toyotire

you are correct there is only about an inch difference in height and width is the same. I ran Colorado on a set of 255/80-17 with no spacers and had no issues running most of the normal san juan area trails including pough keepsie. I had them on a rubicon so I was electronically disconnected so being manually disconnected may have had adverse results as far as having the tire come in contact with the swaybar link.

Top Bottom